Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

June or October Test: Timeline Advice?

rogue_800rogue_800 Member
in General 10 karma

I need your help reasoning through taking the June or October test.

I am 30 y/o working professional with a masters degree looking to make a career change. I've been seriously planning to go to law school for 3 years now. I started with the PowerScore books in 2013 and those did not work for me. Then I had an intense job and had to prioritize that. Then in fall of 2015 I took an intensive in-person prep class but I got behind because of my 60+ week work schedule at the time and didn't finish the class. I found 7Sage in September and I've been committed to studying since late November. I love it because it's on my own schedule. Also it's been the first prep material I've done that actually makes sense.

I would like to apply by November 15th/December 1 to law school at the latest.

I have about 100 more hours of core curriculum to finish. I was originally planning on the June test but with my schedule it might be tough, maybe not, I don't know. At the most I can find 12-15 hours per week to study (on a good week) and about 4-8 hours on a crazy week.

What are your thoughts? Target October? Is it too late for the application timeline I've set out? Will I still be a competitive applicant? Or take June and October?

Thanks!

Comments

• SprinklesSprinkles Alum Member
    11542 karma

Taking the LSAT in June or October will both put you in good shape for applying in November or the same cycle. Have you taken a diagnostic? and if so, how far off is it from your target score? This info will give us a better idea of whether June or October is the better option. It's alright to have a tentative date in mind, but for now you should put more priority on understanding everything in the curriculum so you'll be in good shape once you begin the PT phase.

11542 karma

Being a competitive applicant number wise usually means both your UGPA and LSAT score are at or above the school's 75 percentile. The LSAT holds the most weight in your application so keep that in mind.

• rogue_800rogue_800 Member
    10 karma

@montaha.rizeq
    I am still about 12-15 points off my target (dream school!) score.

• Sarah889Sarah889 Alum Member
    877 karma

(Side note: June or October? I'm pretty sure the fall administration is September 16, but someone feel free to correct me if I'm wrong.)

I'm in a similar boat in that I also have a full time job that demands a great deal of my time. That being said, I'm planning on improving my score as much as possible with the mindset that I am taking the June test, but also half expecting to delay until September. I think the only way you can know what is best for you is by 1) Assessing where you currently are in your LSAT capabilities and 2) Setting a goal for yourself and 3) Evaluate your rate of improvement. Given your timing constraints, delaying will likely be the best option, but I can't say that without knowing your goals.

Either test you take should give you plenty of time to apply by November/December.

11542 karma

@rogue_800 said:
    @montaha.rizeq
    I am still about 12-15 points off my target (dream school!) score.

I think it's ok to keep June as an option but I would say if you aren't above your target by a few points at least a month before June your best option would be to postpone. Time will tell. Like I said, take your time with the syllabus - this will cause you to perform your best once you start PTing.

• BinghamtonDaveBinghamtonDave Alum Member 🍌🍌
    8689 karma

@bswise2 wrote what I was going to add. The fall administration of the LSAT for 2017 for non Sabbath observers is 9/16/2017

• rogue_800rogue_800 Member
    10 karma

Thank you everyone! And thank you for the correction on the September date. I've clearly been thinking about this for a while and I realize they changed it to September recently.

11542 karma

@rogue_800 said:
    Thank you everyone! And thank you for the correction on the September date. I've clearly been thinking about this for a while and I realize they changed it to September recently.

Lol it's ok, people have been using it interchangeably :)