Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

The New Yorker to increase RC

Pi031415Pi031415 Alum Member

While mapping out my study plans for the LSAT I read somewhere that reading The Economist and the New Republic were good supplementary materials to prep materials. I read both diligently but I saw even more RC improvement once I started incorporating the New Yorker into my study plan. Their articles are very dense and it can be difficult to keep the information straight. Really forces you to concentrate on what you're reading. Another added benefit is their articles run the spectrum of subjects - could be pop culture, politics, history or science. This was tremendously helpful to me and I hope it helps someone else.

Comments

• TimLSAT180TimLSAT180 Alum Member
    619 karma

I wholeheartedly agree with you on this. I've been doing the same thing (reading both the economist as well as the New Yorker) and I definitely feel like I'm more engaged with the RC passages. And just another word of advice to anybody who is preparing to take the LSAT, you really should be reading somewhat dense material during your prep not simply because it helps you on the RC section but also because reading difficult stuff is just a fundamental thing we all will have to do and enjoy to some extent in law school. I don't understand people who say they are prepping for the LSAT and at the same time say that they abhor reading. I mean I just don't see how that could possibly work out to his/her benefit not only in the short term, but also in the long term when law school begins. So, yes I would say reading is quite necessary in preparation for this test!

• AlexAlex Alum Member
    23929 karma

I read the Economist regularly and the New Yorker every now and then. I think it helps, but to be honest, there are so many RC passages out there to practice on, I think your efficacy might be better just using (and even re-using) older RC passages. I can say I saw a significant RC score increase ONLY after just re-doing older RC passages. My diagnostic was a -8 RC now I'm hovering right at -3 on the older tests, on average.

• TheMikeyTheMikey Alum Member
    4196 karma

I like the economist a lot. I feel like some of the readings have very close structure to RC passages, which is cool. Never really thought about reading TNY though !

• Cant Get RightCant Get Right Yearly + Live Member Sage 🍌 7Sage Tutor
    27861 karma

I think the more you read the better, just make sure you understand that it is extracurricular and you still need to study RC proper.