Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Chef Gordon Ramsay does NOT approve of your LSAT shortcuts!

SprinklesSprinkles Alum Member
edited July 2017 in General 11542 karma

http://i.imgur.com/A2nbEMm.png
For real. Don't do it. Every so often I come across people who've made the conscious decision to take on the LSAT and are failing miserably at understanding fundamental concepts because they're too focused on searching for a shortcut to hone down the material. Cut it out. The LSAT will challenge every ounce of knowledge you possess. It will humble you and make you feel defeated. Get back up and really try to understand and learn what you're playing with. You have to develop an appreciation for the beast. The skills learned to get good at the LSAT aren't useless. Realize what you are implementing to achieve a high score will give you an astronomical advantage in Law School whether it's discipline in sticking through reading dense material (love you too, RC), scoping out a main argument or discrepancy in a piece of writing,(you are NOT the real MVP, LR) or reading a list of facts to give determination of what is true and what must be false. ( I see what you did there, LG). Bottom line is the LSAT is not something that should be viewed as redundant or extraneous. Seeking short cuts or silver bullets will result in a standstill in your prep and you'll be left to wonder what could have been done if you just went through this the honest way. As Chef said, do it properly or don't do it at all!
<3

Comments

• SamiSami Live Member Sage 7Sage Tutor
    10774 karma

I love this @montaha.rizeq .<3 <3

Thanks for making this post. I definitely remember wanting shortcuts when I was relatively new in my prep and looking for these tricks. I wish you had made this post then :-* But now I am reading a book on logic to understand this material better. There are no shortcuts in LSAT. Well not for people who want to score high. <3 <3

Love you <3

• SamiSami Live Member Sage 7Sage Tutor
    10774 karma

Also, Did I tell you I love you? ;) <3 <3

• SprinklesSprinkles Alum Member
    11542 karma
  • jknaufjknauf Alum Member
    1741 karma

So much Jonathan in this post. =]

• jknaufjknauf Alum Member
    edited February 2017 1741 karma

=] I posted a comment earlier which I really think the whole 'not taking shortcuts thesis' here really hits at. I'm re posting the comment here because I think it will be beneficial to others who may not have seen it.

It's not ok to just scratch the surface, or take shortcuts especially during BR. You must focus your studies at really understanding the underlying logic.

For example lets say we have a weaken question and the stimulus is;

The only way to get into Harvard is with a high LSAT score and high GPA. Therefore, since Peter got into Harvard, he must have a high LSAT score and high GPA.

Which of the following most strongly undermines the arguments conclusion?

A) Christopher does not have a strong GPA or Strong LSAT score, but he was accepted into Harvard because he has a Nobel prize. - Correct answer choice

Why does this weaken our conclusion?
    (Scratching the surface explanation) 'there must be other ways to get into Harvard, since our friend Christopher was accepted without a strong LSAT and GPA

(Next level explanation) 'We are weakening a conditional conclusion by attacking the necessary condition. We are showing that the necessary condition doesn't need to occur in order for the sufficient condition to occur'.

Really strive for that 'Next Level Understanding' which comes from the underlying components of logic.

11542 karma

@jknauf said:
    =] I posted a comment earlier which I really think the whole 'not taking shortcuts thesis' here really hits at. I'm re posting the comment here because I think it will be beneficial to others who may not have seen it.

It's not ok to just scratch the surface, or take shortcuts especially during BR. You must focus your studies at really understanding the underlying logic.

For example lets say we have a weaken question and the stimulus is;

The only way to get into Harvard is with a high LSAT score and high GPA. Therefore, since Peter got into Harvard, he must have a high LSAT score and high GPA.

Which of the following most strongly undermines the arguments conclusion?

A) Christopher does not have a strong GPA or Strong LSAT score, but he was accepted into Harvard because he has a Nobel prize. - Correct answer choice

Why does this weaken our conclusion?
    (Scratching the surface explanation) 'there must be other ways to get into Harvard, since our friend Christopher was accepted without a strong LSAT and GPA

(Next level explanation) 'We are weakening a conditional conclusion by attacking the necessary condition. We are showing that the necessary condition doesn't need to occur in order for the sufficient condition to occur'.

Really strive for that 'Next Level Understanding' which comes from the underlying components of logic.

Love this! Next level understanding is practically imperative to excel on the LSAT but it can also apply to other circumstances. Thanks for sharing,my brain was like YAAAS

edited February 2017 11542 karma

@Jlap1991 said:
    Thanks I really needed this motivation today!

Lol thanks for the AMA link :wink:

• Mo ZubairMo Zubair Alum Member
    391 karma

Cool and useful stuff!!!

• nessa.k13.0nessa.k13.0 Inactive ⭐
    4141 karma

Truth

I love how Gordon Ramsey tells people the cold hard truth. No excuses. Also yeah, this is so much like Jonathan's chats.

11542 karma

@"nessa.k13.0" said:

Truth

I love how Gordon Ramsey tells people the cold hard truth. No excuses. Also yeah, this is so much like Jonathan's chats.

Yes, it's tough love...lots of "tough" though lol.

• Jessica_KubaJessica_Kuba Core Member
    461 karma

I love this so much Montaha, very insightful!! :smiley:

• twssmithtwssmith Alum
    5120 karma

But if you try to find silver bullets - expect this,,,
    https://media.giphy.com/media/O7Mk6FV4kCTQY/giphy.gif

11542 karma

@twssmith said:
    But if you try to find silver bullets - expect this,,,
    https://media.giphy.com/media/O7Mk6FV4kCTQY/giphy.gif

LOL Ty! your GIF skills are certainly up to par ;)

11542 karma

@Jessica_Kuba said:
    I love this so much Montaha, very insightful!! :smiley:

Thank you, Jess! <3

• DinnerAtSixDinnerAtSix Member
    edited February 2017 86 karma

OMG thank you so much for this, @montaha.rizeq. Starring this for all those days (and nights) when I cannot recall why I must drill thoroughly to actually understand a concept! <3 <3

11542 karma

@DinnerAtSix said:
    OMG thank you so much for this, @montaha.rizeq. Starring this for all those days (and nights) when I cannot recall why I must drill thoroughly to actually understand a concept! <3 <3

:smiley: You're welcome. Keep on grinding! <3