Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Change of strategy as your score improves?

slee146slee146 Member
edited February 2017 in General 42 karma

My LR score recently improved from consistent -8,6 to -3,2
At this period, focusing on specific question types in detail really helped
However, ever since my score improved to -3 range I stopped seeing any pattern in questions that I miss
and I am actually amazed by the fact that its almost always 3 questions wrong per section no matter what type it is.
(as if I am destined to miss 3...)
Would there be an advice on closing the gap from -3 to perhaps 0?

Comments

• TheLSATTheLSAT Member
    301 karma

Why do you seem to miss the three questions you do? Are they difficult questions? Do you make reading mistakes? Are you mostly torn between two answer choices on these? If you could elaborate a little, I might be able to make a more informed statement.

• slee146slee146 Member
    42 karma

I think it is a combination of reading and conceptual problem. What i mean is that after reading stimulus, I may focus on a detail that makes me misinterpet the argument. Like seeing more than one flaw, usually some subtlety makes me oversuspicious.
    Sometimes treating a simple question as if its 5star difficulty and making a mistake from overcomplicating things occur as well. (This one is quite rare but it does happen)
    It seems that subjective aspect of assessing the argument is hurting me the most.

• BenjaminSFBenjaminSF Alum Member Inactive ⭐
    457 karma

@slee146 I am actually working on this right now, too! I tended toward -3 on one (occasionally both) LR sections, and this is higher than my average for RC or LG. I also didn't see similarities between the questions I was missing.

Since I also tend to get caught up on misleading points in the argument, I sat down and worked through every missed LR extremely slowly. I found that there was consistently one modifier in the stimulus or correct AC which I missed.

Now, instead of practicing on specific question types, I am practicing working more slowly. Before, I was consistently finishing with spare time, but there were always questions that I doubled-back on because I read through the stim too quickly. These were the ones where I noticed that I hadn't read closely enough and caught my mistake before marking in incorrect answer. The questions I missed were where I didn't read closely enough, but I never got tipped off.

While I am still working toward finishing a section in around 28 minutes, I have seen real improvement in my ability to absorb all the pertinent information before moving to the ACs. I have found that by reading slowly only once, I barely take more time than when I am moving quickly, and the plus is that now I don't make many silly mistakes! This does not leave as much more time to work on more difficult or skipped questions, but those are areas that I can also speed up with practice.

On recent PTs my average dropped by more than a full point on LR!

• Cant Get RightCant Get Right Yearly + Live Member Sage 🍌 7Sage Tutor
    27840 karma

Yeah, at a certain point, errors should stop patterning themselves around question types, and become much more subtle and detail oriented. I found that adding a grammatical breakdown in addition to my logical one really helped train me to deal with these types of mistakes. It sounds like you've mostly got the logic down and now need to deal with the English more effectively.

• nessa.k13.0nessa.k13.0 Inactive ⭐
    edited February 2017 4141 karma

@"Cant Get Right" said:
    I found that adding a grammatical breakdown in addition to my logical one really helped train me to deal with these types of mistakes.

I want to highlight that^ point. Reviewing those lessons and being more meticulous was a huge game changer for me with my LSAT accuracy!