Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Lessons On Numbers/Percentages In Curriculum?

extramediumextramedium Alum Member
edited February 2017 in Logical Reasoning 419 karma

This is my biggest problem at the moment, and I don't recall this being in the curriculum. Could someone point this lesson out if I'm missing it? Seems like a pretty big part of the test.

Comments

• NotMyNameNotMyName Alum Member Sage
    5320 karma

Oh also this one https://7sage.com/lsat_explanations/lsat-17-section-3-question-24/

I've been thinking about your question while studying today. This is a principle I find myself having trouble with as well. It can be frustrating for me because I understand these principles, but clearly not well enough to implement them effectively all the time when they're shrouded in all the fluff, ambiguity, and confusing phrasing of the LSAT.

My own method has been to take a few extra moments on these questions to think of general possibilities. Usually there are no more than 3 (absolute numbers went up, down, or remained the same and the effect that could have on the percent). Then I feel a little more protected form traps. Hopefully this exercise becomes second-nature and I no longer need to consciously complete it while doing the questions. When that happens, I suppose my understanding of the principles will finally be sufficient.

If anyone else has some recommendations I would love to hear them.

• extramediumextramedium Alum Member
    419 karma

@jkatz1488 Yeah this is exactly what i mean. I haven't found any helpful resources on this yet.

• BinghamtonDaveBinghamtonDave Alum Member 🍌🍌
    8700 karma

There are 3 things that have helped me with these questions:
    Powerscore's LR book number and percentage chapter
    The explanations on 7Sage
    Supplemental studies that I have found on Youtube

I actually did more than 20 of these questions in one sitting a week or so ago. At bottom, these questions test us on concepts that I just needed refreshing on. 44-2-17 is an illustrative example.

5320 karma

@BinghamtonDave what sort of supplemental stuff have you used on YouTube? If there are any particular channels/videos you recommend, would you mind sharing? Thanks

8700 karma

@jkatz1488 I started really really basic my friend. I typed: "what is a denominator" into YouTube. There is a ton of resources out there to help with these things.

• Cant Get RightCant Get Right Yearly + Live Member Sage 🍌 7Sage Tutor
    27860 karma

Khan Academy is a great math resource as well. It's great to work through it in general, but for LSAT, just pulling out the lessons on percentages would be really helpful.

8700 karma

I'm in the process of categorizing the appearance of every question that involves a calculation as we speak. What I hope to garner from a collection of these are the skills and strategy needed to tackle any such future appearance of these questions. I will bump this thread when I am done.

5320 karma

@BinghamtonDave @"Cant Get Right" Thanks for the input guys! I've seen an improvement within myself just within the CC by being aware of my weakness here... once burned twice guarded I suppose. Maybe being aware will be enough but I'll keep these suggestions in my pocket.

I know of Khan and it sounds really cool in general so I may check it out.

• extramediumextramedium Alum Member
    419 karma

@BinghamtonDave That collection would be very helpful. I thought I saw a thread with a list already, but I must have been mistaken. Went back and looked and couldn't find it.

8700 karma

@"Aaron Frank" there is a thread, I will tag you in in shortly. I wanted to make a list in more depth. Categorizing what the LSAT was asking us in these questions.