Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Correlation

Martin01Martin01 Member
in General 343 karma

I know how to strengthen and weaken correlation within a stimulus. However, my problem is that while under timed conditions, I somehow miss the correlation within the stimulus. Because of this, I miss most of these types of questions seeing as I do not approach how to strengthen or weaken the stimulus accordingly.

Can someone please be so kind to give me advise on exactly what to look for to instantly pick up on correlation within a stimulus???

Comments

• nessa.k13.0nessa.k13.0 Inactive ⭐
    edited March 2017 4141 karma

HI @Martin01 If you are missing out on recognizing correlations within arguments during timed conditions it could mean that there's a gap between your theoretical understanding of correlations and your application of that information within an argument. Don't forget that a correlation is two things (factors, incidents, trends etc) that tend to occur at the same time. Take the time to think about how arguments with correlation/causation reasoning function. Note that often the LSAT will either provide you with a chance to erroneously draw a causal relationship from that correlation (those two things occurring simultaneously) or a correlation/causation argument will already be presented to you in a stimulus.

Practice breaking down correlation arguments slowly--go back to the basics: find your conclusion and the support. Don't skip that. Get in the habit of identifying the argument structure asap when you read stimuli (what are the premise(s) and conclusion??) and breaking down the stimulus-when relevant. Not seeing what the conclusion is (which is often a causal relationship based on correlation support) could also be hindering your ability to pick up on correlations. My main point is that you cannot recognize that there is a correlation in an argument, if you don't recognize that there are two items occurring simultaneously first.

Here are some correlation/causation LR questions to practice with:
    Flaw: PT49,S2,Q13; PT49,S2,Q18; PT54,S2,Q19; PT54,S2,Q22; PT56,S3,Q17; PT56,S3,Q2; PT57,S2,Q6; PT57,S2,Q15; PT59,S2,Q4; PT59,S2,Q6; PT59,S2,Q8

Weaken: PT51,S1,Q25; PT51,S3,Q1

• MrSamIamMrSamIam Inactive ⭐
    2086 karma

Correlations are incredibly easy to spot, when you have all the time in the world to do so. The problem with looking for a correlation, is that relative to other relationships, they aren't incredibly common - yes, you'll see a few on every LSAT, but it's not like every other stimulus contains a correlation.
    Here is what I do: Start reading the stimulus like you should any other LR stim...actively. If you notice that they're trying to link 2 things via a causal relationship, it's probably a correlation. If they're talking about 2 seemingly similar things being connected in some way, they're probably trying to infer that those 2 things are correlated.
    In a nutshell: "Factor A is present...so is factor B" = probably talking about a correlation.