PT9.S1.Q24 & Q27 - the english who in the seventeenth

TimLSAT180TimLSAT180 Alum Member
edited March 2017 in Reading Comprehension 619 karma

Hi guys, could someone explain to me why answer choice C is correct for Q24? It doesn't explicitly say in the passage that the English "allowed" Parliament to make constitutional changes by legislative enactment. I guess this is correct because we can safely assume this was the case? I originally chose (A) but I guess A is wrong because nowhere does it say that the English were uncomfortable with institutions that could claim absolute authority. They were against absolute powers of kings, but not the Parliament. Am I right?
https://7sage.com/lsat_explanations/lsat-9-section-1-passage-4-questions/

Also for Q27, I was between A and E, and ended up choosing E correctly. But during BR, I got confused for some reason and changed back to A. Why would A be wrong and E be correct? Any input would be appreciated!
https://7sage.com/lsat_explanations/lsat-9-section-1-passage-4-questions/

Comments

• inactiveinactive Alum Member
    12637 karma

Bumping this so more people see.

• BinghamtonDaveBinghamtonDave Alum Member 🍌🍌
    edited March 2017 8689 karma

First, a few words on the phrasing of question 24. Question 24 gives us the following: "The author mentions.." This means what we are looking for here is something explicit rather than implicit. Reading question 24 further, we are essentially asked to supply the evidence the author uses to support the claim made about 18th Century English attitudes towards Parliament. So, what were the 18th Century English attitudes towards Parliament?

I read this passage carefully twice and in both readings I circled the word "omnipotent" found in line 39. Followers of the Abrahamic faiths will no doubt recognize that word as a commonly attributed characteristic of God. It struck me as, quite frankly odd that this was the prevailing opinion of a governing body at that time. I sometimes feel that engaging a passage or an opinion expressed in a passage this way keeps me not only engaged, but increases my ability to recall information from the passage for questions.

So the opinion of "the English" at the time was that their Parliament was omnipotent. The evidence used to build towards this claim by our author was that: lines 35.5 through line 36. "... it could change the Constitution by ordinary acts of legislation." (emphasis added)
    This is best expressed by (C)

(A) is wrong because according to our passage it is factually incorrect. Lines 27.5 through lines 30 indicate why (A) is factually incorrect. According to our passage the English were essentially supporters of the absolute power of the Parliament.