Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Application cycle and timing of LSAT

SethDCorleySethDCorley Alum Member

I'm currently studying for the LSAT in June, but I'm wondering if I should take it in September. I'm working full time, and I think it would just give my more time to do some PTs. I was wondering if I'll have my score back in time to apply early enough in the application cycle to get some scholarship? Just curious. Thank you guys for being so helpful!

Comments

• TexAgAaronTexAgAaron Alum Member
    1723 karma

This is a decision I recently made. If you honestly don't think you'll be ready to score your goal score then push it back to September. I had to be really honest with myself and realize I wasn't even close. Don't waste an attempt when you're not absolutely ready.

You should be just fine on time for early apps though you won't be right at the beginning. I believe you'll have your score back in about 20-25 days based on the past tests. Just have everything else ready to roll.

• joe.j.hamjoe.j.ham Alum Member
    88 karma

Wondering if anyone knows what date the September LSAT is open for registration? I have it down as May but just looking for reassurance/confirmation, etc...

• 1025 karma

@"joe.j.ham" said:
    Wondering if anyone knows what date the September LSAT is open for registration? I have it down as May but just looking for reassurance/confirmation, etc...

Not yet

• David BusisDavid Busis Member Moderator
    7262 karma

You'll definitely still be able to apply early enough to get scholarships! It wouldn't be a bad idea to begin working on your essays before the test, though—so long as you don't have to sacrifice study time.

• Mellow_ZMellow_Z Alum Member
    1997 karma

@"joe.j.ham" said:

Word on the street is middle to late May. Also loosely confirmed on the trend of past registrations.

• joe.j.hamjoe.j.ham Alum Member
    88 karma

@Mellow_Z Thanks mate!

• JustDoItJustDoIt Alum Member
    3112 karma

I agree with @akeegs92 and @"david.busis" . Having everything ready won't delay things further. Plus the majority of applicants submit around that time anyways.

http://www.lsac.org/jd/lsat/test-dates-deadlines/

Hope this helps!

• AllezAllez21AllezAllez21 Member Inactive Sage Inactive ⭐
    1917 karma

You might find this podcast informative, it's about application timing and features some very in-the-know people talking about the issue.

Summary: applying any time before Thanksgiving is early enough.

http://blog.spiveyconsulting.com/podcast-when-is-it-early-when-is-it-late-in-the-admissions-cycle/

• BenjaminSFBenjaminSF Alum Member Inactive ⭐
    457 karma

I spoke to a couple of admissions officers about application timing, and they said that it is best to get in applications within 30-60 days of the cycle opening up. Most of the schools I have looked at will open on Sept. 1, but they also allow you to submit your LSAT score when it is released after applying.

Bottom line is that it is better to be prepared and do well on the LSAT than to apply on the first day applications are accepted. As far as I understand, application officers will still look at your app before the score comes in, but no decision can be made until then. If those three months would be a difference of 3 or more points, I would think it would be well worth waiting.

• Mellow_ZMellow_Z Alum Member
    1997 karma

Admissions cycles will continue all the way through March and April, so taking the September test is going to harm anything. I would recommend having the rest of your applications ready at that time though, so that once you receive your grade you are able to send your apps out asap.

Don't feel bad about delaying though! It's always better to wait and do your best instead of rushing into a test and half assing it, just to end up taking it the next time as well.