Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Mediation suggestions

jaefromcanadajaefromcanada Alum Member
in General 315 karma

I was on a different forum when I had a question about meditation. I recently downloaded "Headspace" on my iPhone and it's been great. What it does is it gradually guides you, in increments, in the realms of meditation. I've felt a lot more optimistic and less anxious, and generally more apt at adjusting to my LSAT/life-induced stress since I've started meditating.

When I first read about it in the CC, I was really skeptical of its effects. The term 'meditation' seemed intimidating and kinda hardcore. But this app makes the experience a lot more intuitive, simple and enjoyable. 10/10 recommendation.

TLDR: get "Headspace" on your phone

Comments

• Otro_JloOtro_Jlo Alum Member
    8 karma

Firstly, the typo in you're title is great.

Secondly, absolutely agree about meditation. Headspace is great but Insight Meditation Timer is also good if you don't want to pay - look up the free, guided sessions from Jack Kornfield and Sharon Salzberg. Also, I think 10% Happier by Dan Harris is good reading material on the subject - it's from a journalist and general skeptic who finds meditation and tries to divorce some of the hippy BS from it.

• edited March 2017 1025 karma

@jaefromcanada said:
    I was on a different forum when I had a question about meditation. I recently downloaded "Headspace" on my iPhone and it's been great. What it does is it gradually guides you, in increments, in the realms of meditation. I've felt a lot more optimistic and less anxious, and generally more apt at adjusting to my LSAT/life-induced stress since I've started meditating.

When I first read about it in the CC, I was really skeptical of its effects. The term 'meditation' seemed intimidating and kinda hardcore. But this app makes the experience a lot more intuitive, simple and enjoyable. 10/10 recommendation.

TLDR: get "Headspace" on your phone

I second this. It was not at all what I perceived as mediation. It is an amazing app!!

• jaefromcanadajaefromcanada Alum Member
    315 karma

@Otro_Jlo lol this may be the best typo I've ever conducted. I didn't think today would be such a monumental day.

• NotMyNameNotMyName Alum Member Sage
    5320 karma

For anyone who may be interested in an accessible text on "non-contemporary" meditation, check out Zen Mind, Beginner's Mind by Shunryū Suzuki.

The book is only ~132 pages and extremely accessible for those of us new to Buddhism/meditation. It is essentially a handbook on proper Zen meditation techniques, but it includes lots of helpful corollaries and euphemisms. Here's an excerpt from one of it's reviews:

"In one of the best and most succinct introductions to Zen practice, the important teacher Shunryu Suzuki discusses posture and breathing in meditation as well as selflessness, emptiness, and mindfulness." - Library Journal

• AlexanderCMAlexanderCM Member
    174 karma

I love Meditation Studio! It has short meditations for every sort of situation from an important job interview, to general anxiety, to prepping for bed on top of general meditation courses to develop the skill of meditating.

• stepharizonastepharizona Alum Member
    3197 karma

Yep I second Meditation Studio! Its just a one time fee and if you were big on the free apps from starbucks, you may already have it.

Simple Habit also has a good test day one. If you want a 2 week trial of the full version I have a link I can send DM.

• BranTwiceBranTwice Alum Member
    edited April 2017 204 karma

I like Sam Harris, and his school of thought regarding meditation. I think that JY linked some of his stuff in a former post. I'll have to look for it. Nonetheless, I am sure there is ample content on YouTube. I'll definitely checkout "Headspace".

• BranTwiceBranTwice Alum Member
    204 karma

Here is the Sam Harris guided meditation:

https://7sage.com/lesson/winning-the-psychological-battle/

• Bevs ScooterMinionBevs ScooterMinion Alum Member
    1018 karma

Agreed. Headspace is a game changer!

And Sam Harris...one of my crushes for his wit, intelligence, and activism. I love his mom for the same reasons. <3