Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

My two go-to's while studying...

SprinklesSprinkles Alum Member
edited May 2017 in General 11542 karma

Rainymood.com and the self control app.
If you're like me and need some white noise while studying, check out rainymood.com :) I'm obsessed with thunderstorms and the sound of birds chirping and this site has both!
Second, since most of our studies nowadays require an internet connection, it's harder to avoid social media and sites such as youtube, reddit, etc. and that's where SelfControl comes in. It's an app that can be downloaded on your Mac or PC that essentially blacklists any websites you have listed for the amount of time you choose ( you can pick from anywhere between15 mins - 24 hrs) I mentioned this app on here a while ago but thought I'd do so again since it has helped me so much with concentrating.

Feel free to share any apps/sites etc. that help you study :)

Comments

• SprinklesSprinkles Alum Member
    edited May 2017 11542 karma

I probably sound like a broken record with this suggestion, but Momentum (google chrome extension) is such a nice tool that can also be implemented in your studies. It basically provides you with a breathtaking background photo every day, a motivational quote, and two options for creating a to-do list. I've enlisted a few 7sagers already and would love to pass this extension on to others if you're into that kind of stuff :)

• ElleWoods77ElleWoods77 Alum Member
    edited May 2017 1184 karma

@Sprinkles said:
    I probably sound like a broken record with this suggestion, but Momentum (google chrome extension) is such a nice tool that can also be implemented in your studies. It basically provides you with a breathtaking background photo every day, a motivational quote, and two options for creating a to-do list. I've enlisted a few 7sagers already and would love to pass this extension on to others if you're into that kind of stuff :)

I would definitely be interested in this , I am always looking for ways to continue to push myself if you are still enlisting people :smile:

11542 karma

@"Michelle Juma" said:

I would definitely be interested in this , I am always looking for ways to continue to push myself if you are still enlisting people :smile:

Haha great. Tell me how you like it!

• cgracia12cgracia12 Alum Member
    737 karma

Thanks for the SelfControl suggestion! Locking in now -_-

• tringo335tringo335 Alum Member
    3679 karma

@Sprinkles said:

Awesome tip! Thanks!

• SamiSami Live Member Sage 7Sage Tutor
    10774 karma

Agree with this. I always use Self control otherwise I know I am going to end up wasting my time browsing websites. Even discord is blocked for me. sigh.

• akistotleakistotle Member 🍌🍌
    9377 karma

Thank you so much for the suggestions!! I need to stay away from Facebook, Instagram, Tumblr, Twitter, and YouTube. (lol)

11542 karma

@cgracia12 said:
    Thanks for the SelfControl suggestion! Locking in now -_-

Lol I had a friend who set hers for 10 hours and she ended up not needing it for that long. She tried pretty much everything to go around it and crack its system but it wouldn't budge! I guess that's helpful for us who suffer from social media withdrawl :joy:

11542 karma

@tringo335 said:

@Sprinkles said:

Awesome tip! Thanks!

For sure!

11542 karma

@Sami said:
    Agree with this. I always use Self control otherwise I know I am going to end up wasting my time browsing websites. Even discord is blocked for me. sigh.

Have you ever tried white-listing instead of blacklisting?

11542 karma

@akistotle said:
    Thank you so much for the suggestions!! I need to stay away from Facebook, Instagram, Tumblr, Twitter, and YouTube. (lol)

Lol my issues are facebook, youtube, sephora, and amazon. :flushed:

10774 karma

@Sprinkles said:

@Sami said:

@Sprinkles said:

@Sami said:

What's white listing?

• tringo335tringo335 Alum Member
    3679 karma

@Sprinkles said:

@akistotle said:

Oh my gosh. I didn't even think about wasting time on Sephora! Now I'll always be tempted to go there ! :( lol

• extramediumextramedium Alum Member
    419 karma

Thanks, I've been using a white noise mp3 on my phone that I ripped from YouTube. Gonna give this a shot.

I usually just put my phone on airplane mode, start the white noise and start the timer. It's been working great these last few weeks.

• akistotleakistotle Member 🍌🍌
    9377 karma

@tringo335 said:

@Sprinkles said:

@akistotle said:

Oh my gosh. I didn't even think about wasting time on Sephora! Now I'll always be tempted to go there ! :( lol

Oh my god. Thank you for mentioning Sephora! I can spend hours just browsing the site! lol

• JustDoItJustDoIt Alum Member
    3112 karma

If I am not watching explanations, I disconnect Wi-Fi haha :blush:

11542 karma

@JustDoIt said:
    If I am not watching explanations, I disconnect Wi-Fi haha :blush:

Umm that's why you're the real MVP.

11542 karma

@Sami said:

@Sprinkles said:

@Sami said:

@Sprinkles said:

@Sami said:

What's white listing?

Omg Sami. So basically you type in a website you're using (let's say 7sage) and if you click white list it blocks everything EXCEPT 7sage. Like even email. I've been afraid to try it but I may need it one of these days haha

11542 karma

@tringo335 said:

@Sprinkles said:

@akistotle said:

LOL. Eh not worth it now anyway until they have their annual sale in November.

@akistotle said:

@tringo335 said:

@Sprinkles said:

@akistotle said:

Oh my god. Thank you for mentioning Sephora! I can spend hours just browsing the site! lol

I'm a sucker for their skin care products :(

11542 karma

@extramedium said:
    Thanks, I've been using a white noise mp3 on my phone that I ripped from YouTube. Gonna give this a shot.

I usually just put my phone on airplane mode, start the white noise and start the timer. It's been working great these last few weeks.

Yup. Airplane mode is a good tool too!

10774 karma

Omg Sami. So basically you type in a website you're using (let's say 7sage) and if you click white list it blocks everything EXCEPT 7sage. Like even email. I've been afraid to try it but I may need it one of these days haha

oh lol. I knew that. I have been afraid to try it too. Sometimes I need Youtube to watch my videos of tests that I have taken. But I might do that because sometimes I can still wander off.

Is there a switch in self control that lets me sometimes block sites on black listing and at other times only allows the ones on white list? I am just thinking the of times I may need to see my mail or search on google.

• Gladiator_2017Gladiator_2017 Yearly Member
    1332 karma

Hey, this is great! Someone posted the other day about an app that helps you track what you've been working on and for how long and also reminds you when to take a quick break (I can't seem to find the post after scrolling through the discussion forum).

Anyone recall the name? Or use a similar app? Thanks!