Logic Games - Getting worse instead of better

brittneyrizobrittneyrizo Member
in Logic Games 5 karma

Hi everyone! I have been studying via the 7sage syllabus for almost three months now and I absolutely love it. However, I find that I am struggling more with the logic games now than I did in my first test. (like I scored 60% correct on my first test and now I am scoring 25-30% correct).

Has this occurred to anyone? Is this common? I am wondering if I am getting too caught up on what is the appropriate method to solve the game rather than before I was just doing my best to solve? Any help would be greatly appreciated. I have been printing copies and practicing the problems on repeat like JY suggested; however once I get to different types of mixed problems I panic and freeze and get in my head.

Any advise is greatly appreciated. I want to avoid getting negative on these - at first I was really hopeful I could master them and now I am beginning to doubt myself.

Comments

• Mellow_ZMellow_Z Alum Member
    1997 karma

You shouldn't be actively thinking about how to solve new games in relation to existing games. Solving old games is to build muscle memory, and to help you identify patterns and relationships. Once you build all of these skills up, with new games, the solutions should just "click" faster than they would otherwise. If you find you are thinking along the lines of "oh I remember how I solved game 2 on PT4.. how can I make this game like that one?", then you aren't being efficient, and you don't really understand the games at a good level. You should still be able to freely think about how to solve the games, you will just have more tools in your toolbox to help you solve it correctly and efficiently.

• SamiSami Live Member Sage 7Sage Tutor
    10774 karma

@brittneyrizo said:
    Hi everyone! I have been studying via the 7sage syllabus for almost three months now and I absolutely love it. However, I find that I am struggling more with the logic games now than I did in my first test. (like I scored 60% correct on my first test and now I am scoring 25-30% correct).

I think its normal for scores to dip first when you try to work on something. I think it might be because to make something better you have to actually start thinking about every little thing and at the beginning this can make it worse. But relax, logic game is one of those things where past experience and repetition really pays off. Just keep learning.

When you do a mix of game, it could be hard to make that switch initially. But with time, it will click and all games will seem like second nature. <3

You will be just fine. Continue fool proofing your logic games and internalizing inferences. Good luck! :)

• BinghamtonDaveBinghamtonDave Alum Member 🍌🍌
    edited May 2017 8689 karma

I believe what you are facing is quite common. More importantly, I have heard and read many accounts of people overcoming the problem. It has been my experience that attaining success and keeping success sustained on games is certainly possible, but requires a ton of work. The fool proofing process is a really great way to study and build up an arsenal of game experience. Fooling proofing is something I credit my success in games to. Here are a few other general suggestions that I found helpful when I was in your situation:

-watch the videos on 7Sage on how to solve particular games, not just the difficult ones, but also the easy ones: there will be tips and tricks in the videos that you might have overlooked in your setup.
    -read the comment section on every game on 7Sage, the comment sections are replete with helpful ways that particular people looked at specific aspects of each game. Sometimes, differing viewpoints/methods of solving games actually yield a collectively more efficient method of approaching certain questions.
    -Ask specific questions on the forum boards: people have been where you are.
    - Constantly be asking yourself on games during practice: is there any way I can make this process more efficient i.e. save/bank more time? This step might include the adoption of a splitting strategy, if so, please see this webinar: https://7sage.com/webinar/splitting-boards/

-My last general tip is to understanding through practice how rules interact with each other and understand what questions are actually asking you to find/see. The first step in this last piece of advice will allow you to see inferences that carry through games more intuitively and with a higher degree of confidence.

I hope this helps
    David
    Edit: spelling*

• dennisgerrarddennisgerrard Member
    edited May 2017 1644 karma

Don't let the LG take you down. Take a break between each practice on one game with new copy(2-3 days for me). Time yourself but no pressure.If you are at starting point, familiar with game type but do some early PT timed sections(PT1-30). Repetition doesn't hurt.It's a method rather than the goal. Set your own pace and come with your explanation for each game like you teach others, even it's different from JY's explanation. Pick the right one and justify it and Move on. Don't spend time on incorrect ones. The goal is to get point.

Finally, have faith in yourself.

• SprinklesSprinkles Alum Member
    11542 karma

@BinghamtonDave said:
    I believe what you are facing is quite common. More importantly, I have heard and read many accounts of people overcoming the problem. It has been my experience that attaining success and keeping success sustained on games is certainly possible, but requires a ton of work. The fool proofing process is a really great way to study and build up an arsenal of game experience. Fooling proofing is something I credit my success in games to. Here are a few other general suggestions that I found helpful when I was in your situation:

-watch the videos on 7Sage on how to solve particular games, not just the difficult ones, but also the easy ones: there will be tips and tricks in the videos that you might have overlooked in your setup.
    -read the comment section on every game on 7Sage, the comment sections are replete with helpful ways that particular people looked at specific aspects of each game. Sometimes, differing viewpoints/methods of solving games actually yield a collectively more efficient method of approaching certain questions.
    -Ask specific questions on the forum boards: people have been where you are.
    - Constantly be asking yourself on games during practice: is there any way I can make this process more efficient i.e. save/bank more time? This step might include the adoption of a splitting strategy, if so, please see this webinar: https://7sage.com/webinar/splitting-boards/

-My last general tip is to understanding through practice how rules interact with each other and understand what questions are actually asking you to find/see. The first step in this last piece of advice will allow you to see inferences that carry through games more intuitively and with a higher degree of confidence.

I hope this helps
    David
    Edit: spelling*

Not even kidding Dave, have you ever thought about doing an LG intensive?

• BinghamtonDaveBinghamtonDave Alum Member 🍌🍌
    8689 karma

@Sprinkles hopefully one day when this exam is behind me, I will indeed give back to the community in that way, and maybe an RC intensive also. :)

• SprinklesSprinkles Alum Member
    11542 karma

@BinghamtonDave said:
    @Sprinkles hopefully one day when this exam is behind me, I will indeed give back to the community in that way, and maybe an RC intensive also. :)

YUSSSS