Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Burn Out?

Mike DanenbergMike Danenberg Alum Member
in General 10 karma

Hi all I was wondering if anyone else had this experience. I just finished the PT's from PT's 42-51 (the red book) and I was averaging about 18-20 on LR. I just started PT's 62-71 (Purple Book) and I have done pretty terrible on the first four LR sections. Is there a huge increase in difficulty between the two books? Or am I just getting a bit burnt out? Or could it be something completely different? Not really sure what to make out of the situation. I was really confident before starting this book, but I am feeling really un sure of my skills now.

Comments

• SamiSami Live Member Sage 7Sage Tutor
    10779 karma

@"Mike Danenberg" said:
    Hi all I was wondering if anyone else had this experience. I just finished the PT's from PT's 42-51 (the red book) and I was averaging about 18-20 on LR. I just started PT's 62-71 (Purple Book) and I have done pretty terrible on the first four LR sections. Is there a huge increase in difficulty between the two books? Or am I just getting a bit burnt out? Or could it be something completely different? Not really sure what to make out of the situation. I was really confident before starting this book, but I am feeling really un sure of my skills now.

It's possible that this jump is significant as certain tests do tests on different things. But it may not be big enough. What does your blind review say about the type of mistakes you are making? That should give you more information if the test is indeed testing you on different concepts you are unfamiliar with.

• JustDoItJustDoIt Alum Member
    3112 karma

I agree that it's hard to tell without knowing more.

For me, burn out means stupid mistakes and getting emotional about PTs. Also, if I am not getting things when I read or I just don't wanna do it, I know I'm burnt out. Ask yourself questions about your mental state and that will provide more insight into whether or not you are burnt out.

• TheoryandPracticeTheoryandPractice Alum Member
    1008 karma

Hey! The causes might be numerous. I do, however, find that PT60s and upwards tend to be different and takes a while to get used to LSAT's subtly different writing style, especially in the answer choices. The trap answer choices are a little trickier.
    If you BR them extensively, and adjust your strategies based on them, you will bounce back eventually.
    I also think that the score drop from the 50s to 60s signify your weakness on some core skills, not thoroughly tested in the 50s but taken advantage of in the 60s. I think you will be able to identify what your weaknesses are as you BR. Consider yourself fortunate for finding them out early on!

• KateelaineKateelaine Alum Member
    172 karma

How long have you been studying? If you've been studying for months and months, it might be burn out. Maybe try taking two or three days completely 100% off and not thinking about the LSAT. If it's burnout, giving yourself a mental break may be what's needed. Even it it's not burnout, taking a step back and resetting your brain might be a good thing, too.

• AlexAlex Alum Member
    23929 karma

Probably both burnout and a changes in the tests. Take a day or so off... I feel like if you're asking about potentially being burnout, then it is worth taking a break, as it will only get worse.

@TheoryandPractice is correct that with proper BR your scores will eventually bounce back!