Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Logic games and filling out possible choices..

BirdLaw818BirdLaw818 Free Trial Member
in General 553 karma

Before taking my test in February, I went with the route where I drew out most/all possible combinations of a game before solving it and it DOES make the questions easy to solve...

However, recently, as I've been studying for the June exam, I've noticed that when I just graph out the bare minimum of where things go and the rules, I find myself finishing the games much quicker... It might take me a little more per question to graph possible solutions to a certain scenario, but i find it more beneficial that not having to spend time graphing scenarios (before answering questions) allows me time to brute force certain questions if needed. Afterall, filling out the game in like 3-6 different outcomes is a kind of brute forcing itself right?

What do you guys think... is my method of minimal planning before answering questions okay? Or is it a rule of thumb/ better in the long run to pre-fill as many as I can in a decent amount of time?

I feel like what I'm doing now is sort of a noob method....but idk, i think its working. Anyone else?

Comments

• AlexAlex Alum Member
    23929 karma

@avetyans said:
    Before taking my test in February, I went with the route where I drew out most/all possible combinations of a game before solving it and it DOES make the questions easy to solve...

However, recently, as I've been studying for the June exam, I've noticed that when I just graph out the bare minimum of where things go and the rules, I find myself finishing the games much quicker... It might take me a little more per question to graph possible solutions to a certain scenario, but i find it more beneficial that not having to spend time graphing scenarios (before answering questions) allows me time to brute force certain questions if needed. Afterall, filling out the game in like 3-6 different outcomes is a kind of brute forcing itself right?

What do you guys think... is my method of minimal planning before answering questions okay? Or is it a rule of thumb/ better in the long run to pre-fill as many as I can in a decent amount of time?

I feel like what I'm doing now is sort of a noob method....but idk, i think its working. Anyone else?

I mean if you're going -0 consistently, don't change anything, lol.

The important skill to cultivate is knowing when making those game boards/scenarios up front are worth it. Some games it absolutely makes sense to solve for all possible worlds. For example, if you have 6-7 questions and only 3-4 possible worlds. Generally speaking, I find it makes more sense to split game boards when the number of questions is greater than the number of boards.

Furthermore, some games as I'm sure you know just lend themselves to splitting better and thus make more sense to split.

If you haven't already check out this excellent webinar. I watched this after going through the LG CC and learned a great deal about splitting!

https://7sage.com/webinar/splitting-boards/

Just be careful changing strategies this close to game day...

• BirdLaw818BirdLaw818 Free Trial Member
    553 karma

True, but I've noticed a lot of the recent games are made where the board can be split into atleast like 6 different scenarios! I just started studying again and was refreshing my LG knowledge and decided to time myself yesterday without being strict about splitting the game board and noticed I was going faster. i feel like I was too dependent it before..

I am reusing all my old materials as I have gone through them for the most part. I am trying not to look at answers I've circled but I do go through each answer choice and eliminate it, and I've caught all my mistakes from the previous takes too.

• AlexAlex Alum Member
    23929 karma

@avetyans said:
    True, but I've noticed a lot of the recent games are made where the board can be split into atleast like 6 different scenarios! I just started studying again and was refreshing my LG knowledge and decided to time myself yesterday without being strict about splitting the game board and noticed I was going faster. i feel like I was too dependent it before..

I am reusing all my old materials as I have gone through them for the most part. I am trying not to look at answers I've circled but I do go through each answer choice and eliminate it, and I've caught all my mistakes from the previous takes too.

Yeah, I get what you're saying. One major difference with the newer games is that you have to brute force way more often for the reason you mentioned. Often you'll find yourself with games that have 6+ scenarios and 6-7 questions. And even then, you often have trouble solving the game boards you could theoretically make. I find myself brute forcing WAY more on new tests.

Sounds like you're on the right path.

• BirdLaw818BirdLaw818 Free Trial Member
    553 karma

Yeah...i mean, I still make a few boards very quickly using the bare minimum scenarios but there's definitely a lot more to do. When I was having difficulties remembering how some of the games had to be set up or solved, I found that splitting the game into all scenarios did help me regain the understanding of how the pieces of the game interact...now that i'm in the groove of things I'm using less and less.

Question...I have two preptest...79 and 80 which I havent seen yet (from the newer ones). How should I space those tests out so I really know where I'm at?

I was thinking I do 79 sometime next week and then do 80 a week before the test. In the mean time I'm going back through 60-78...

• AlexAlex Alum Member
    23929 karma

If those are the only 2 fresh tests you have left, sounds like a good plan to me!