Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

How to solve MBT w/o conditional statements

Maximus4Maximus4 Alum Member
edited May 2017 in General 206 karma

Hey guys! Does anyone have any advice on how to solve/approach Inference questions that do not have conditional statements?

Comments

• BinghamtonDaveBinghamtonDave Alum Member 🍌🍌
    8689 karma

I think one of the keys is a focused and precise reading of the text and a knowledge of what the words mean. Take for instance 28-3-8. Here we have a stimulus where the AC actually just sums up the position of a particular portion of environmentalists. I think MBT stimuli without conditionals provide answer choices for us in two basic forms: 1. a simple extrapolation of a specific aspect of the fact pattern: in this case the position of a port of environmentalists (for another example of this, please see 33-1-11). I think of these MBT questions as so inside baseball lawyer talk lol, where out of a set of 3-4 statements, a single one is used as full support for a MBT statement.

or 2. the piecing together of disparate aspects of the stimulus to deduce something not explicitly stated. Off the top of my head, 47-1-18 would be a good example of this. This is a time consuming process, and something that I would skip and then come back to. To be honest, I would skip this and come back to draw a diagram.

Careful reading of the stimulus as well as both a careful accounting of the disparate threads within the stimulus and a quick pause between sentences to ask "can I coherently push together the information so far?" has paid dividends for me on MBT questions without conditionals.

I hope this helps
    David