Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Asking for LoR by email

jowens7317jowens7317 Alum Member
in General 244 karma

The professor I'm going to ask took a job at his alma mater 7 hours away so I can't ask him in person anymore. What is the procedure for asking for a letter of recommendation by email? For example what forms, information, etc. should I send to him and does he send the LoR directly to LSAC if he chooses to write it?
Thanks.

Comments

• AlexAlex Alum Member
    23929 karma

@jowens7317 said:
    The professor I'm going to ask took a job at his alma mater 7 hours away so I can't ask him in person anymore. What is the procedure for asking for a letter of recommendation by email? For example what forms, information, etc. should I send to him and does he send the LoR directly to LSAC if he chooses to write it?
    Thanks.

When you email your professors for LORs, keep it pretty concise, but cover the following 3 things:

1) A refresher on who you are/the classes you took with them

2) Overview of what you've been doing since you graduated

3) Use point 2 to segue to your plans, i.e., law school with a brief summary as to why you're applying/what your career goals are.

Importantly (so, I guess 4 things to cover!), when you make the ask for the LOR, note that you've attached your current resume for their reference and ask if there is any other information you can provide that would be helpful to them. (You want to make it as easy as possible for them to say yes.)

Yes, they submit directly to the LSAC website, if they so choose to write the LOR.

Good luck!

• Mellow_ZMellow_Z Alum Member
    edited June 2017 1997 karma

It's also worth emphasizing - that you're looking for a STRONG LoR, not just a bland one. It's also recommended to give them an out. If you don't get a good letter of rec, it will hurt you. So despite the shortcoming of losing a potential writer, you are saving your application from any blemishes, which is a huge bonus.

if you do not feel comfortable writing me a strong letter of recommendation, I completely understand

• TheMikeyTheMikey Alum Member
    4196 karma

I contacted one of my recommenders strictly through email due to her being in a different state now. I just simply sent the first email asking if she could write me one, and I briefly mentioned things like what class I took with her, what grade I got, why I want to go to law school, etc. Keep it short and simple, and most importantly, just overall to the point. In your first email, don't send them a resume, personal statement, etc. Tell them that if they are willing to write you a LOR, that you are willing to give them anything to assist them (resume, etc.) and then after they say yes, send them what they want.

Once they agree to write you one, you want to briefly explain to them the way LSAC has their electronic LOR system set up. Then just submit their info on LSAC and email the LOR form to them and they will take it from there.

Good luck!