Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Choosing between September and December LSAT

jreynoldsjreynolds Core Member

So I'm currently studying for the September LSAT, but wondering if the December one would be too late to take when it comes to the admissions process. Would it be better to take the September LSAT because it is right when the admissions cycle opens up?

Comments

• Achen165Achen165 Member
    656 karma

Depends on the type of schools you are applying to. Aiming for competitive tier-one/ivy league schools and already scoring in the 170's? If not, then it is probably in your best interest to take advantage of a couple more months of studying. December is not too late in the cycle...it is the first test (early), December being fine for either a second test or a first, February is considered 'later' and for some schools, the latest to accept. A great deal of schools accept June tests though...the only 'late' test because in some cases applications are due before you even know your own score.

• AlexAlex Alum Member
    23929 karma

@jreynolds said:
    So I'm currently studying for the September LSAT, but wondering if the December one would be too late to take when it comes to the admissions process. Would it be better to take the September LSAT because it is right when the admissions cycle opens up?

IT's always, ALWAYS going to be better to take when you can score higher. A 168 in December is going to beat out every 165 in September, all other things being equal.

• CinnamonTeaCinnamonTea Member
    550 karma

Hi @"Alex Divine" , this is the common advice I have heard, but I was wondering if there were any studies/data out there to prove this? Would it change if someone was in the 25th/50th/75th percentiles (for instance, someone in the 50th percentile in September and then 75th in December?

Just curious because this was always the wisdom I've heard but I was wondering exactly where it came from and if it would depend on the specific percentile your September/December LSAT scores were in.

• AlexAlex Alum Member
    23929 karma

@CinnamonTea said:
    Hi @"Alex Divine" , this is the common advice I have heard, but I was wondering if there were any studies/data out there to prove this? Would it change if someone was in the 25th/50th/75th percentiles (for instance, someone in the 50th percentile in September and then 75th in December?

Just curious because this was always the wisdom I've heard but I was wondering exactly where it came from and if it would depend on the specific percentile your September/December LSAT scores were in.

Well, while I am not aware of any studies, a website like MYlsn.info (shows where people were accepted/rejected, when they applied, $, etc.) can provide lots of insight into this question.

It's hard to make an exact statistical calculation of how your odds changes when your application date and score changes. Other variables need to be taken into consideration too, such as if you are a URM...

Though it's hard to quantify, I would think that 9/10 it is going to be better to apply with the 75th-%tile LSAT in January, then in October with a 50th%-tile LSAT.

• usernameusername Alum Member
    276 karma

Take them both if you think you can get a workable score in Sept. and that it won't be too emotionally taxing if you do poorly. Use that score to apply ED to your dream school and then update your applications with your, hopefully, improved Dec. score for the rest of your cycle.

Above the law (i think) had a piece about multiple LSAT scores no longer statistically affecting admission chances. Higher is always better, but there definitely seems to be a give and take with timing, depending on exactly how much higher you're looking at.

• AlexAlex Alum Member
    edited August 2017 23929 karma

@username said:
    Take them both if you think you can get a workable score in Sept. and that it won't be too emotionally taxing if you do poorly. Use that score to apply ED to your dream school and then update your applications with your, hopefully, improved Dec. score for the rest of your cycle.

Above the law (i think) had a piece about multiple LSAT scores no longer statistically affecting admission chances. Higher is always better, but there definitely seems to be a give and take with timing, depending on exactly how much higher you're looking at.

Multiple LSAT scores aren't going to help you. It's definitely going to be better to wait until you are ready and scoring where you need to be consistently before taking. December isn't too late in the cycle and if it nets you a point or two, it will be WELL worth it.

• usernameusername Alum Member
    276 karma

@"Alex Divine" It may not help you, but applying ED could. And having multiple scores in a world where law schools now only have to report the top score of applicants, it doesn't hurt. If you looked more closely at Mylsn, you'd see plenty of stories of people applying late in the cycle with their score and getting rejected. Then applying a year later earlier in the cycle with the same numbers and having a much more successful cycle.

OP: if you're PT'ing 10 points below your target, obvs put it off. If you're just feeling a little shaky but you're generally in the ballpark, go for it.

http://blog.powerscore.com/lsat/do-law-schools-view-multiple-lsat-attempts-as-a-negative

• dantlee14dantlee14 Free Trial Member
    617 karma

@CinnamonTea said:

http://admissionsbythenumbers.blogspot.ca/p/model-1-waitlists-included-model-in.html>;

Alex doesn't like this study, but I think it's really useful for answering those kinds of questions. The guy who runs this blog has run a ton of regressions on candidate data to estimate how much a 1-pt increase in your LSAT score, or applying 1 month earlier, can boost your chances of admission at the top schools. He also has done some interesting analysis of how much weight certain schools put on being URM. The short version is that a 1-pt increase in your LSAT score will boost your chances about twice as much as applying one month early at top schools; so in the scenario you outlined of applying with a 150 in September (50th percentile score) vs applying with a 158 (~75th percentile) in January (since that's the earliest you'd be able to apply after the December test), applying in January with the 8-pt increase would be significantly better for your chances than applying early with a 150.

• AlexAlex Alum Member
    23929 karma

@username said:
    @"Alex Divine" It may not help you, but applying ED could. And having multiple scores in a world where law schools now only have to report the top score of applicants, it doesn't hurt. If you looked more closely at Mylsn, you'd see plenty of stories of people applying late in the cycle with their score and getting rejected. Then applying a year later earlier in the cycle with the same numbers and having a much more successful cycle.

OP: if you're PT'ing 10 points below your target, obvs put it off. If you're just feeling a little shaky but you're generally in the ballpark, go for it.

http://blog.powerscore.com/lsat/do-law-schools-view-multiple-lsat-attempts-as-a-negative

I've had this discussion a few days back with people. Admissions consultants, ex-deans of admissions, e.g., Jessica Soban of HLS, and plenty of other admissions consultants and authors have made it absolutely clear that even though only the top scores are reported, that the other scores don't just get swept under the rug and they do indeed consider them. How much weight they give them, I couldn't say.

The difference between the scores probably matters more than anything, so there's that. As in the article you cited it isn't a big deal unless you're taking it like 6 times, so there's that to consider too.

In short, Don't take the test unless unless you are consistently hitting your target score. Rarely do miracles happen on the LSAT. You'll get the score +/- 5 points of your last Pt more than likely. And more than likely it will be the -5 due to test day nerves and such.

• ebalde1234ebalde1234 Member
    905 karma

Hello , my question is related to this post. i have not yet taken the lsat and i am planning on taking my first LSAT in December ... is this too late, especially since the schools I'm applying for operate on rolling admissions. Better to wait another year ? My main disadvantage in this situation is that I will be taking it for the first time in December, and also the application costs if I don't get accepted.

• AlexAlex Alum Member
    23929 karma

@ebbyaldaoud said:
    Hello , my question is related to this post. i have not yet taken the lsat and i am planning on taking my first LSAT in December ... is this too late, especially since the schools I'm applying for operate on rolling admissions. Better to wait another year ? My main disadvantage in this situation is that I will be taking it for the first time in December, and also the application costs if I don't get accepted.

It's really hard to answer questions like these because everyone's situations are so different. December isn't necessarily too late to apply to places with rolling admissions, but you're also not going to be on the super early side either.

That said, the best advice is to take the test when you are ready. So if you are ready in December, then sit for the test. You'll generally know if you are ready if your scores on the most recent tests are above or at your target score. As far as applying, I think if your application is all together and you score where you want then applying in December should be fine. Worst case if you don't get accepted to where you want then you can apply next cycle and have plenty of time to retake if need be.

• Citygirl-1-1Citygirl-1-1 Live Member
    edited August 2017 113 karma

I was planning to take the September lsat. I am scoring 157-159. I know I probably can/will score a 160 in September. However, by Luck I met a dean admission at ...... law school last week. (It was an event for work. I didn't even know she was a dean.) she simply asked me about my future career plan and I told her about my plan to attend Law school. I told her my struggled with the test working full time, and helping my parents but with two aging and sick grand parents, blah, blah, all the nonsenses. I am dealing with. She said to me maybe best to postpone until December and aim for a higher score between 165-170 than to rush and take the test in September hoping for a 160. Even if I achieve the 160 in September anything above a 160 in December is a better chance of getting admitted and receiving scholarships as well. LSAC releases the December lsat on 1/04. If I work on my application while doing the lsat in the fall and making sure that my letter of recommendations are in before profs head out for Christmas break, I should be able to send my application by 1/08 if not earlier. So I am going to take her advice and study for the next 18 weeks about 30hrs a week until dec 2. By then I will definitely achieve that 170. Oh by the way she gave me her card and told me to email her with any questions about the school or anything else :-) Hope this help!

• Quick SilverQuick Silver Alum Inactive Sage
    1049 karma

There isn't a perfect answer - it's simple, but not that simple - here's my take:

On the one hand, it makes a big difference to apply early - Berkeley is a great example - on the other, your best score is the priority. So...

I'd prep for September and see how your average PTs look a week before Test Day.

If your average PTs are in striking distance of your target score, go for it. Better to be able to fully apply early to get the most out of rolling admissions.

If not, consider taking it 1) to get the test day experience (it does help for retakes) and cancel (one cancellation won't kill your application)
    ...or if your average PT isn't that far off from target, take it and get the score so psychologically you're not relying on just December (you can "want" but not "need" December if your score isn't too far from your target - that's not ideal, but there's power going into December "wanting" to gain a few points, but not "needing" it and having the psychological benefit of test day experience).

No matter when you take it, write down your takeaways (things that worked, things you'd do differently). In the case you take it again, those takeaways will prove invaluable.