Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Statement of Need for accommodations

johanna586johanna586 Alum Member
in General 202 karma

Hi All,
I am trying to get accommodations for the September LSAT. I was diagnosed with ADHD due to attention in high school and I have issues with processing speeds/short term memory. I recently got re-tested since the first testing is over 12 years old and I'm going to submit psychologist's report. My question is, does the psychologist also have to fill out the "Statement of Need" or is her report enough? I tried to ask LSAC today, but they wouldn't tell me over the phone and then I e-mailed, but it might take a while for them to get back.

I received accommodations in high school (well I have a 504 plan) but I didn't really take any (that I remember at least) in college. I've been scoring consistently 154, but then around a 163-167 when I BR/go back and answer the questions I ran out of time to answer.

Thanks!

Comments

• AlexAlex Alum Member
    23929 karma

@johanna586 said:
    Hi All,
    I am trying to get accommodations for the September LSAT. I was diagnosed with ADHD due to attention in high school and I have issues with processing speeds/short term memory. I recently got re-tested since the first testing is over 12 years old and I'm going to submit psychologist's report. My question is, does the psychologist also have to fill out the "Statement of Need" or is her report enough? I tried to ask LSAC today, but they wouldn't tell me over the phone and then I e-mailed, but it might take a while for them to get back.

I received accommodations in high school (well I have a 504 plan) but I didn't really take any (that I remember at least) in college. I've been scoring consistently 154, but then around a 163-167 when I BR/go back and answer the questions I ran out of time to answer.

Thanks!

I believe they will have to fill out the statement of need form. Not 100% sure so wait until you hear back from the LSAC to be sure.

• 1000001910000019 Alum Member
    3279 karma

Have you been accomdated for an exam listed here (https://www.lsac.org/jd/lsat/accommodated-testing/prior-accommodations) ?

If so, I think you only need to satisfy II.

• johanna586johanna586 Alum Member
    202 karma

@USER123456 said:
    Have you been accomdated for an exam listed here (https://www.lsac.org/jd/lsat/accommodated-testing/prior-accommodations) ?

Unfortunately I did not get extended time on the SATs. I was pretty stubborn and didn't want to accept help even if i needed it...

@ > @"Alex Divine" said:

I believe they will have to fill out the statement of need form. Not 100% sure so wait until you hear back from the LSAC to be sure.

Thanks for your input!

• Daniel.SieradzkiDaniel.Sieradzki Member Sage
    edited July 2017 2301 karma

@johanna586,

Based on some research and what I have heard from friends , your psychologist needs to fill out the Statement of Need form.

The Evidence of Disability form is designed to have the professional verify that you have the disability in question. The Statement of Need form is designed to have the professional explain why that disability makes it so that your true abilities are not represented under standard timing/testing conditions. Thus, both documents are needed. LSAC has determined that a candidate needs to verify that they both have a disability and that disability affects their performance. Both of those are necessary conditions for receiving accommodations.

Your psychologist could instead write a letter explaining why you need extra time and just write "see attached letter" on the Statement of Need form. Some professionals are more comfortable with that procedure. Your psychologist would still need to fill out their information on the Statement of Need form but they would not have to write/type in the text block.

In any case, I would recommend that you wait to hear from LSAC. They can give you a definitive answer. Good luck with everything!

• AlexAlex Alum Member
    23929 karma

@johanna586 said:

@USER123456 said:

Unfortunately I did not get extended time on the SATs. I was pretty stubborn and didn't want to accept help even if i needed it...

@ > @"Alex Divine" said:

Thanks for your input!

Don't mention it! Have had a few friends need accommodations and I'm pretty sure that letter was needed to satisfy the LSAC's policy.