Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

"assumes" vs. "takes for granted"?

alex.i.ferminalex.i.fermin Alum Member
edited July 2017 in Logical Reasoning 10 karma

Some LR questions have answer choices that say that an argument "assumes without providing justification that (xyz)", and some say that an argument "takes (xyz) for granted". Do these phrases mean the same thing? If not, please explain the difference(s). Thanks! :)

Comments

• Harrison_PavHarrison_Pav Alum Member
    218 karma

I would say that for the flaw questions, these basically mean the same thing. What the LSAT is conveying by saying this is, "The author's flaw is that they forgot about the XZY aspect of the argument."

• AlexAlex Alum Member
    23929 karma

@Harrison_Pav said:
    I would say that for the flaw questions, these basically mean the same thing. What the LSAT is conveying by saying this is, "The author's flaw is that they forgot about the XZY aspect of the argument."

Yeah, these are the terms Mike Kim teaches, but the terms are essentially two sides of the same coin.

• TheMikeyTheMikey Alum Member
    4196 karma

they are basically the same thing. typically when I read an AC that has either of those 2 honestly, I just say 'assumes that ____'.