Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Where to go from here for the September LSAT?

gregepgregep Free Trial Member
edited July 2017 in General 6 karma

Hello 7sage community. I wanted some advice on how to utilize the rest of my prep time before the september LSAT. I have read the LSAT trainer and have read Powerscore's LG bible. My first diagnostic before reading any of those was a 152. I just took another PT and scored 156 with a 167 BR score.

My question is whether my focus should be on doing timed individual sections during the week, and a full PT at the end of the week? Just want some help on how to utilize my time. I'm pretty sure timing is my main issue. My goal for the September LSAT is 163+, so anyone's advice who has personally scored in that range would be much appreciated. Any advice is appreciated honestly.

Comments

• amedley88amedley88 Alum Member
    edited July 2017 378 karma

I'm at about the same level as you - but with a lower diagnostic score - and it all depends... How much time do you have available per week to study between now and Sept? Was the PT you took a recent one and how many do you have available to practice with? Which sections are you strongest/weakest in? Are you using the 7sage analytics to uncover your weaknesses? Have you completed the core curriculum?

I would say before deciding anything you should take about 3-4 more recent tests (between 60-80) and see what your timed average is after that. I'm not sure if one PT can be a truly accurate reflection of where one's at. Make sure you BR and record it all into the analytics to see which areas you may need to focus on. PM me if you want!

• AlexAlex Alum Member
    23929 karma

@gregep said:
    Hello 7sage community. I wanted some advice on how to utilize the rest of my prep time before the september LSAT. I have read the LSAT trainer and have read Powerscore's LG bible. My first diagnostic before reading any of those was a 152. I just took another PT and scored 156 with a 167 BR score.

My question is whether my focus should be on doing timed individual sections during the week, and a full PT at the end of the week? Just want some help on how to utilize my time. I'm pretty sure timing is my main issue. My goal for the September LSAT is 163+, so anyone's advice who has personally scored in that range would be much appreciated. Any advice is appreciated honestly.

Hey @gregep

So September gives you about 2 months left of prep. I have to give the age old advice that you may want to consider postponing until you start hitting those 163+ marks on timed sections. Then again, maybe you're set on September. If that's the case I would ask what your score breakdown is, as in where are you missing points?

Also, as @amedley88 asked, it would be helpful to know if you've utilized the analytics tool, which is free on 7Sage. I'm assuming you haven't done the course.

My last PT was a 164 and I'm no master of this test, haha.
    My advice is that if you are set on taking in September, you need to be a bit more strategic with where you're going to make up those points you need. First, make sure you improve LG as much as possible via the fool proofing method. https://7sage.com/how-to-get-a-perfect-score-on-the-logic-games/

The reasoning for this is because most people will agree LG is the easiest/quickest way to improve on this test.

I think scoring in the low 160s is all about having a strong grasp of the fundamentals. You can miss about 21-22 questions and score a 163. If you can get LG down to -2, LR down to 5 misses per section, and RC down to -8 you'd have your score. That's just one way to look at it. If you're not already missing less than a few per section on games, I highly recommend you begin fool proofing as many games from PTs 1-40 as possible.

Second, depending on the amount of time you can dedicate to prep, you should aim to do both timed sections and full PTs.

Perhaps do all the even tests from the late 70-81 (70, 72, 74, 76, 78, 80, 81) And then use the odds from 62-81 (or whatever amount you need) for timed sections. Make sure you take each timed section with a purpose in mind. Take these timed sections wanting to improve on something specific, not just to get sections under your belt. This is a great point @"Cant Get Right" instilled in me.

That said, I think it is risky to put it all on the line in September. Personally, as someone who has gone from scoring in the high 150s to consistently scoring in the mid 160s, I know it can take longer than a couple months. I had a time period where I was stuck right at 158-162. I would tell myself to take the test when I am scoring 163+ and not a day sooner.

If you rush to take in September you risk burning through valuable recent tests, and if you take it without having done the most recent exams, you risk being unprepared. It has catch 22 written all over it.... It's a tricky situation. I would set some sort of benchmark such that if I am not scoring at, or ideally above,163 by X date, I will postpone taking the exam.

Just some of my thoughts... I wish you well on whatever you decide!

:)

• gregepgregep Free Trial Member
    6 karma

@"Alex Divine" & @amedley88 First off, thank you for your replies!

Okay a little more background:
    - I have basically all PTs besides 72-80 (which i planned on purchasing anyway)
    - the PTi just took was PT 64
    - From now until September my schedule is 100% free. I was registered for the June exam but postponed until September because prepping during the semester at school was just too difficult
    - Would have done the C.C. but money was the issue so the option was not on the table.
    - My avg for all of the sections is a -9.

I like the idea of the benchmark for postponing the test. I've been contemplating just waiting all together because i am doing Teach For America prior to law school anyways, and could postpone prep time until the summer before my second year when i would have money for a course/tutor etc.. However, getting through the application cycle this year would be a load off my back.

Despite not doing the C.C., i have been using 7sage for all of my prep through the free resources. I think what I'll do is take one or two more PTs in the next two-three weeks along with timed sections and see how i improve. I'll report back when that happens!

What do you guys think?