Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

LSAT Waitlist

bkim0415bkim0415 Free Trial Member

I just signed up for the Sept LSAT in Orange County (Southern California) and was placed on a wait list. Is it likely to get off the wait list for nearby test centers or do people usually get reassigned to a location that is pretty far away? Should I try to contact LSAC and see if there are other ways to get around the issue (like taking the test on Monday) since I'm not too thrilled about driving 50 miles before taking the test.

Any advice/input would be greatly appreciated!!

Comments

• jurisprudentjurisprudent Alum Member
    326 karma

Keep on it! The September test is very popular but there will be last-minute cancellations due to people pushing back to December. The last date to push back to December without having to withdraw entirely is August 22. If spots don't open up after that date, then I suggest you look into overnight accommodation for test centers that are far away. It'll be hard to wake up and drive 50 miles to make it by the 8:00am roll call.

• AlexAlex Alum Member
    23929 karma

@bkim0415 said:
    I just signed up for the Sept LSAT in Orange County (Southern California) and was placed on a wait list. Is it likely to get off the wait list for nearby test centers or do people usually get reassigned to a location that is pretty far away? Should I try to contact LSAC and see if there are other ways to get around the issue (like taking the test on Monday) since I'm not too thrilled about driving 50 miles before taking the test.

Any advice/input would be greatly appreciated!!

It all depends on the location. I don't know much about SoCal so I can't be of too much help. There's always the option of getting a hotel nearby and making the driving the night before. Of course that's not very convenient, but it's something I would consider with a potential 50 mile drive the morning of the test.

• Seeking PerfectionSeeking Perfection Alum Member
    4423 karma

On the other hand, the long drive might ensure that you wake up and hit the road with plenty of time to fully wake up.

I'd still do everything you can to get it switched. However, I don't always sleep well in a hotel so I might not go that route. It seems to me that whatever ends up happening, you want to put some positive spin on it for the day of the test so you are in a good mood.

If you need to take the drive, make sure that you plan plenty of time for construction or a traffic jam, drive carefully so as not to get in an accident or get pulled over for speeding, ect. Maybe stretch or take a light jog once you get to the testing center if you have time.

This summer, I have been driving about an hour from home to my University and taking practice sections of logic games before my job there and have not felt like the drive diminishes my ability. I do have a long walk from the parking lot that might help get me stretched out and woke up.

• AlexAlex Alum Member
    23929 karma

@"Seeking Perfection" said:
    On the other hand, the long drive might ensure that you wake up and hit the road with plenty of time to fully wake up.

I'd still do everything you can to get it switched. However, I don't always sleep well in a hotel so I might not go that route. It seems to me that whatever ends up happening, you want to put some positive spin on it for the day of the test so you are in a good mood.

If you need to take the drive, make sure that you plan plenty of time for construction or a traffic jam, drive carefully so as not to get in an accident or get pulled over for speeding, ect. Maybe stretch or take a light jog once you get to the testing center if you have time.

This summer, I have been driving about an hour from home to my University and taking practice sections of logic games before my job there and have not felt like the drive diminishes my ability. I do have a long walk from the parking lot that might help get me stretched out and woke up.

Not sleeping well in a new environment is something to consider that I previously had not. Definitely something to keep in mind if you have trouble falling asleep. I know I could probably not fall asleep in a random hotel room the night before the test. I barely can sleep in my apartment now....

How bad would the traffic make the drive? 50 miles can take 1 hour or 5 depending on where you are. Unfortunately, I am unfamiliar with the Socal area. But I'm guessing traffic is probably pretty crazy. I've seen LA traffic to know going 10 miles can take 2 hours...

edited July 2017 4423 karma

@"Alex Divine" said:

How bad would the traffic make the drive? 50 miles can take 1 hour or 5 depending on where you are. Unfortunately, I am unfamiliar with the Socal area. But I'm guessing traffic is probably pretty crazy. I've seen LA traffic to know going 10 miles can take 2 hours...

It could be pretty bad traffic. I'm a Michigander and have only driven in California(from LA to San Diego) once in my life so I didn't really think of that angle of it. Heavy traffic could be stressful and throw off your game. I would hope its not that bad at 5 or 6 in the morning on a Saturday. But I don't really know.

Maybe doing a test run would be worth it.

• AlexAlex Alum Member
    23929 karma

@"Alex Divine" said:

It could be pretty bad traffic. I'm a Michigander and have only driven in California(from LA to San Diego) once in my life so I didn't really think of that angle of it. Heavy traffic could be stressful and throw off your game. I would hope its not that bad at 5 or 6 in the morning on a Saturday. But I don't really know.

Damn! I think a test run might be worth it in that case. Just because I'm anxiety ridden when it comes to being late and it's the LSAT! I guess 6am on a Saturday might give you some hope it won't be as bad as Friday at rush hour.

4423 karma

I should have been more clear. I think their might be some confusion, Alex.

@"Alex Divine" said:

@"Alex Divine" said:

Damn! I think a test run might be worth it in that case. Just because I'm anxiety ridden when it comes to being late and it's the LSAT! I guess 6am on a Saturday might give you some hope it won't be as bad as Friday at rush hour.

I'm not the OP. That's BKIM0415. I didn't think of the traffic because I am from Michigan and taking the test in Michigan. I imagine the OP is already considering the traffic. That said, I would recommend a test run if the OP can't get it moved.

• AlexAlex Alum Member
    23929 karma

I should have been more clear. I think their might be some confusion, Alex.

@"Alex Divine" said:

@"Alex Divine" said:

I'm not the OP. That's BKIM0415. I didn't think of the traffic because I am from Michigan and taking the test in Michigan. I imagine the OP is already considering the traffic. That said, I would recommend a test run if the OP can't get it moved.

Ohhh man. My bad, I totally just realized how I got you and op mixed up. Even still, a test run may still be a good idea for OP.