Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

When You keep Re-doing the same logic game and getting it wrong over and over

psbrathwaitepsbrathwaite Member
edited August 2014 in General 207 karma
It's quite frustrating when this happens, especially when it's one of the " easier" logic games...

the first problem of the sequencing homework from the curriculum.

I've done it 4 times and I keep getting some inferences, paring down, and ultimately answers wrong.

What do you do when this happens? I'm so short on time with the test in the 27th, it's starting to loom sinisterly over me.

Comments

• ENTJENTJ Alum Inactive ⭐
    3658 karma
    I think you answered your own question mate. The impending test is probably influencing your ability to discern what is right and wrong when it comes down to the answer choices. I know it sounds counterintuitive, but don't think about the test when you're studying. Just focus on the present task, you'll do fine.
  • Nilesh SNilesh S Alum Inactive ⭐
    edited August 2014 3438 karma
    Also... if that is the case then you might think putting off the test... December is not a bad option for this year if you can get a better score than you would this time round...
  • psbrathwaitepsbrathwaite Member
    207 karma
    Would it lower my chances of getting into schools though ? December is the latest one to take..
  • Nilesh SNilesh S Alum Inactive ⭐
    edited August 2014 3438 karma
    No, a few years ago, it may have but right now, applications to law schools are so low that applying after the December test is no disadvantage at all. I applied in Jan and got thru 3 top tire (25 - 35 range) schools with scholarships.
  • Jonathan WangJonathan Wang Yearly Sage
    6866 karma
    Sorry if this sounds harsh, but you need to stop worrying about timing your application and start worrying about your ability to handle simple sequencing games. It doesn't matter when you submit your application if you don't have a score that gets you into the school in the first place.

If it's really just that one game, then I'd use it as a learning tool - catalog all of the mistakes you've made (shouldn't be hard, since you've done them on separate copies of the game presumably) and figure out exactly how and why you screwed up each time. But if it's a bigger issue (and the vanilla nature of the game you're struggling with and the core mechanics it relies on suggests to me it might be), you may want to think about pushing your test date back.
  • kclubs323kclubs323 Alum Member Inactive ⭐
    275 karma
    Have you ever gotten that game completely correct? If you have before, then perhaps the anxiety from the imminent exam date is disrupting your ability to make the inferences accurately and correctly; try the game again the next morning with a fresh mind, you may do better. If you have never gotten it completely right, however, then I would say that you don't actually understand the game and suggest that you watch the video explanation. JY's explanations are pretty damn good, but if you're still caught-up on the inferences, try just memorizing all the inferences JY makes and through repetition of the game you may come to have an a-ha! moment and understand the inferences.

If you're dead-set on taking the Sept exam, rather than covering as much material as you can, you may want to spend time consolidating what you know 100% and what you don't know 100% and adjust your studying accordingly.