Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Where to Begin

Alice TravelsAlice Travels Alum Member
edited August 2014 in General 29 karma
Hey guys,

I am new to this discussion (and the LSATs). I just started studying on my own last week (read half of an old PowerScore Logic Games Bible) but I haven't taken a cold diagnostic test yet. I was planning to take a Test Masters prep course that'll start in late Sept but after reading some discussion blogs and comments, it seems like self-studying might be more effective and useful (with the right materials)? I've also read a chapter of Mike Kim's The LSAT Trainer.

Currently I have the following:
10 New Actual, Official LSAT PrepTests with Comparative Reading: (PrepTests 52-61)
The LSAT Trainer by Mike Kim
2006 or 2007 PowerScore Logic Games Bible

What else should I buy? Which materials should I start with? Would you guys recommend finishing the LSAT Trainer on my own first before taking a 7Sage course?

Any help or suggestions will be appreciated.

Thanks!

Alice

Comments

• polsckenpolscken Alum Member
    199 karma
    The LSAT Trainer is great. Coupled with 7Sage's material you will be fine. I would highly recommend forgoing the Testmasters and just doing the 7sage lessons though. I haven't found reviews online that make a compelling argument that Kaplan or Testmasters or any of the other groups have better programs.

You should also get the 10 Actual Official and PT 72 which was recently released.
  • Alice TravelsAlice Travels Alum Member
    29 karma
    Hey polscken,

Thanks! I think I should take a diagnostic test before I continue studying..? I read that I shouldn't "waste" the recent actual tests on early prep. Which test should I take for my diagnostic?

Thanks!

Alice
  • turnercmturnercm Alum Member 🍌
    edited August 2014 770 karma
    Get 7sage. I find it easier to learn concepts when being taught, plus being able to rewind/speed up videos and learning from other people in the comments section - these have all helped me understand and reinforce concepts. This is in comparison to self-studying, which I did the first time around. I've heard good things about LSAT Trainer as well.

7sage includes PDFs of PT tests (all of which are included with the Ultimate package, I think)

Also, a good diagnostic test is the one from June 2007, found here: http://www.lsac.org/docs/default-source/jd-docs/sampleptjune.pdf Its free at LSAC.org. Its also the diagnostic that 7sage uses.
  • chrijani7chrijani7 Alum Member
    827 karma
    Didn't read what anyone else wrote so sorry if there is any overlap.

1) Ditch the powerscore books, there outdated and I personally hate them (i read the PS:LR & LG)
    2) Read the Trainer first, do the appropriate drills following the chapters. If you need more questions for drilling google "Cambridge LSAT drills", they have EVERYTHING you need in regards to drills.
    3) Consider buying 7sage, rather than taking testmasters. I took a Kaplan course and it sucks, that was just my experience though.I find that 7sage with the LSAT trainer is MORE than enough to get you going before you jump into PT's. Also, I like having the videos on 7sage so I can go back and refer as needed and have the flexibility to study whenever rather than at a set time.

Either way, make a game plan and stick to it. Get the fundamentals, do some solid untimed drilling then timed drilling, then and only then should you jump into PT's and start trucking along. This is my advice its worked for me so far! Hope it helps!
    199 karma
    You can just take the first in your book or, as a commenter suggested above, take the Jun 07 test offered for free here on 7Sage. That's what I would do. Are you testing in September? Make sure you use the test analytics to score your tests. Just click on Resources --> Analytics --> then pick the test you are doing and click the bubbles like you normally would.
    29 karma
    Thanks everyone! I just took the June 2007 exam as my cold diagnostic. I think i will start off with the LSAT Trainer book and 7sage and then move on from there :)
    199 karma
    Good luck!!
  • raytranrraytranr Alum Member
    105 karma
    I would only add: since you already have the trainer and 7 sage, don't spend any money on anything else EXCEPT for official LSAT tests OR for an extremely good tutor.
    29 karma
    Thanks for the suggestion! Does the 7Sage course provide official LSAT tests? Or do I have to buy them separately?
  • Allison MAllison M Alum Member Inactive Sage
    810 karma
    The starter course includes 9 real LSATs; premium includes 23; and ultimate includes 37. https://7sage.com/enroll/