Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Trouble distinguishing answer types

DCGirl107DCGirl107 Free Trial Member

When answering questions on the logical reasoning section, I found myself having a difficult time distinguishing between common answer types. I feel as if my problem is that I don't know the clear cut distinction between these types. They are as follows:

1. It is cited as some evidence against/for a claim
  2. It is cited as a direct contradiction of the claim
  3. It is cited as a fact supporting the claim
  4. It is an attempt to undermine the criticism cited against/for the claim
  5. It is cited as a reason for the claim

Would someone be willing to help me out with this? Whenever I am doing a PT I often find myself delving into these answer stems for too long.

Thank you!

Comments

• LSATcantwinLSATcantwin Alum Member Sage
    edited August 2017 13286 karma

I think the easiest way to look at these, at least for myself, is to change the term "claim" into conclusion.

It is cited as some evidence against the conclusion
    It is cited as a direct contradiction of the conclusion
    etc.

Then you really just have to know what the conclusion is they are referring to.

• Evidence against - Just evidence that works against the conclusion/weakens conclusion

• Direct contradiction - Likely the opposite of what the conclusion says (It did happen VS It didn't happen)

• Fact supporting - really isn't this just a premise? A fact that supports a conclusion

• Attempt to undermine - Works against the conclusion/weakens conclusion

• Reason for the claim - again really isn't this just a premise?

If you can break it down like this - and then look at the stimulus and decide what it is doing to the conclusion it becomes much easier.

• DCGirl107DCGirl107 Free Trial Member
    24 karma

Thank you so much @LSATcantwin :smile: