Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

September v December

Hi all,
I am having difficulty gaging the rolling admission process. I am taking the September exam because I have been planning to get my app in as soon as possible. But, I don't think I'm ready. I will probably remain scoring in the mid 150s. But I've had less than a month of proper study time. I know I can do a lot better if I wait for December. But, I have a fear it is detrimental to apply that late in the game. Is that true?

Comments

• LSATcantwinLSATcantwin Alum Member Sage
    13286 karma

I think you need to take the test when you are ready to take it. December is not to late to apply to schools. A higher LSAT score can secure you more money at the schools you apply to, and even change the schools you get into. I would highly suggest waiting.

• usernameusername Alum Member
    276 karma

It probably won't hurt to take both, honestly (In before the inevitable comment to the contrary).

That being said, if you're in the mid 150's, just postpone. It's better to apply early in the cycle, but if you can get your score up 3 or 4 points then it's likely better to do that.

Plus, you can still apply earlier than most people if you finish your application before Dec. test scores come out and then apply the same day you receive your scores.

• AlexAlex Alum Member
    23929 karma

@chantalmota014 said:
    Hi all,
    I am having difficulty gaging the rolling admission process. I am taking the September exam because I have been planning to get my app in as soon as possible. But, I don't think I'm ready. I will probably remain scoring in the mid 150s. But I've had less than a month of proper study time. I know I can do a lot better if I wait for December. But, I have a fear it is detrimental to apply that late in the game. Is that true?

If you're not ready, don't take it. Aim for a goal that is a number because dates just don't make sense to work towards with a test like this. December would be fine to apply in most cases. And it is always going to be preferable to apply in December with a higher score than in September with a lower score. Even if that difference is only by 1-2 points, the wait is worth it.

• acsimonacsimon Alum Member
    1269 karma

While I think that the above advice is sound, I wonder what "bump" you do actually receive by applying in the fall vs. not applying until Jan. I'm sure that this topic has come up before, but I haven't run across it. Does anyone have a feel for this?

• AlexAlex Alum Member
    23929 karma

@acsimon said:
    While I think that the above advice is sound, I wonder what "bump" you do actually receive by applying in the fall vs. not applying until Jan. I'm sure that this topic has come up before, but I haven't run across it. Does anyone have a feel for this?

Well you can always compare and contrasts some of the numbers on a website like mylsn.info. All things being equal, it does seem like applying early on definitely is advantageous in many cases. However, once you raise your score it becomes really clear that you're almost always better off applying later with a higher score. I think it's sort of impossible to calculate exactly what "bump" you're going to get by applying in Sept vs. December. I think Anna Ivey has written a bit about this in one of her admissions advice books. I'll look through the ones I have and update if I find anything more specific.

• TheMikeyTheMikey Alum Member
    4196 karma

you can still get into a good school with money if you take in December. it really just depends on the school and how that cycle is going by the time you apply.

• 7 karma

This was all very helpful! Thank you so much

• stepharizonastepharizona Alum Member
    3197 karma

You can still go to a decent school with money even with a June score. 2 people in my study group got into T-10 schools, one with a FIRST take in June. Mind you they had fantastic numbers.

Early is often better but big numbers move apps. Even schools that said they wouldn't take June scores emailed me with a 5point higher June score.

This cycle will more than likely be more competitive, but schools have money till the end for the right numbers.

Hit it out of the park in December and don't worry, you'll be fine. Even if you have to retake in Feb.