Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Problem Set Videos

tringo335tringo335 Alum Member
in General 3679 karma

If you got the questions right in a group of problem set questions, do you still watch all the videos? I am currently only watching the ones I got wrong otherwise it would take me about an hour to do one set of 5 questions, but I don't want to miss out on some valuable advantage by skipping the ones I got correct.

Comments

• AlexAlex Alum Member
    edited August 2017 23929 karma

@tringo335 said:
    If you got the questions right in a group of problem set questions, do you still watch all the videos? I am currently only watching the ones I got wrong otherwise it would take me about an hour to do one set of 5 questions, but I don't want to miss out on some valuable advantage by skipping the ones I got correct.

Yes, I still watch them. I think it helps to ensure we are understanding the correct process and serve as a check to make sure we aren't getting some of the questions right for the wrong reasons. I think we get questions right with the wrong line of reasoning all the time. I also find that I often overlook something important in the stimulus or JY has a slightly better way to reason through the argument. It can take a while, but I think it's worth it!

• SprinklesSprinkles Alum Member
    edited August 2017 11542 karma

I used to think it was unnecessary up until I read this from @"Jonathan Wang" a while back,

"For me, unequivocal yes. If you have time, you should read them all. And, in my opinion, you always have time. It is the most obviously worth-it use of time in all of LSAT preparation, in my opinion.

First, how long does it take you to compare your thinking to the explanation if you were truly 100% correct? Second, is confirmation of (what you think is) an obviously-correct thought process really so worthless that you can't even be bothered to spend an incremental minute or two finding out for sure? And third, what happens if you're wrong and the reasoning is slightly different that what you thought? People answer questions right with the wrong reasoning all the time. How do you ever capture that learning opportunity if you never bother to check?

Once upon a time, I thought it was unreasonable to review every question. Increasingly, I'm convinced that's not the case, and that students are leaving monstrous amounts of awesome insight on the table so they can cut their study session by an hour."

And turns out he's absolutely correct and will be a game changer for your study habits/knowledge proceeding.

• TheMikeyTheMikey Alum Member
    4196 karma

it depends. If it's the easier ones I don't, if it's the harder ones I do, even if I got all or most of them right.

it's good to see J.Y.'s view on a question though because his line of thinking may differ from yours and you can learn from that

• Freddy_DFreddy_D Alum Member
    edited August 2017 2983 karma

I agree with Alex. I watch most, if not all, of the vids.

Edit: got scooped by Sprinks and Mikey. I also agree with them :sweat_smile:

• tringo335tringo335 Alum Member
    3679 karma

@TheMikey I agree. I haven't been watching the ones I got right but now I am on the Flaw section and these are overwhelming difficult for me for some reason. Even though I am getting most right, I suddenly feel the need to know why and ensure it wasn't a 'lucky guess'. I haven't been doing this for the ones that come more naturally to me (weaken/strengthen) but I'll start doing them for most if not all of them now- especially the ones I am unsure why I got correct. Hopefully not watching the videos in the past won't put me at a disadvantage :( Thanks for the additional insight @Sprinkles @Freddy_D @"Alex Divine" !

• TheMikeyTheMikey Alum Member
    4196 karma

flaw questions I feel are different from the other LR questions, in that although they just need to have you focused on the premise and conclusion, the flaw can be anything. there's a bunch of different flaws, so it can be whichever which makes these Q types a little harder. But if you just focus on the P and C you should be fine. get familiar with the common flaws as well!

• Cant Get RightCant Get Right Yearly + Live Member Sage 🍌 7Sage Tutor
    27822 karma

Getting questions "right" isn't the goal. Achieving understanding is, and that's a much higher threshold. I've gotten tons of questions correct with inadequate understanding. If there is even a slight suspicion that there is even a possibility that you may not have fully grasped any part of the question, watch the video.

• tringo335tringo335 Alum Member
    3679 karma

@"Cant Get Right" said:
    Getting questions "right" isn't the goal. Achieving understanding is, and that's a much higher threshold. I've gotten tons of questions correct with inadequate understanding. If there is even a slight suspicion that there is even a possibility that you may not have fully grasped any part of the question, watch the video.

Great advice. Will do!