Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Compendium of "uncommon" vocabulary on the LSAT

AnthonyScaliaAnthonyScalia Alum Member
in General 330 karma

Although the LSAT is not supposed to test your vocabulary, in certain cases, deriving correct answers requires knowing the definitions of words that are not familiar to a notable portion of test takers. I thought it might be useful to make a list of these "somewhat-lesser-known" terms, especially those that have appeared on multiple tests. My rule of thumb is that if it's not core LSAT vocabulary, and might not be known by a freshman in high school, it's worth making note of.

I'll perpetually add my own entries, but I hope you guys will post yours too so we can have a more comprehensive resource! I didn't see any other threads like this, but please link me if one indeed exists.

Would it be worthwhile to have the Oxford definitions under the definition, or would the convenience not compensate for the extra clutter?

'Idiosyncratic' ~ PT 69 S3
'Impasse' ~ PT 69 S3
'Laudable' ~ PT 69 S3
'Posterity' ~
'Reconcile' ~
'Relinquished' ~ PT 69 S3
"Semblance' ~ PT 69 S3

Compendium Content
  1. Should the compendium include definitions, or only list the terms?16 votes
    1. Only List Terms
        6.25%
    2. List Definitions
      93.75%

Comments

• westcoastbestcoastwestcoastbestcoast Alum Member
    3788 karma

I recall in a PT either late 60s or early 70s where a LR stimulus used the word psychic to indicate a strong bond between people, not the common sense definition of being able to read someone's mind.

• akistotleakistotle Member 🍌🍌
    9377 karma

The word "laudable" appears in PT46.3.16 as well.

I have my list of LSAT vocabulary, but if I post it here, everyone would be like, "omg....you should go back to high school....you shouldn't be taking the LSAT...."

• AnthonyScaliaAnthonyScalia Alum Member
    330 karma

@akistotle said:
    The word "laudable" appears in PT46.3.16 as well.

I have my list of LSAT vocabulary, but if I post it here, everyone would be like, "omg....you should go back to high school....you shouldn't be taking the LSAT...."

Thanks for the input! I felt the same way when considering whether or not to post this thread. That said, I think it's fair to say that if one person considers a term to be less than orthodox, plenty of others have/will feel the same way. It never hurts to err on the side of caution! Feel free to PM me if you'd like to add your list but don't want to be associated publicly.

• TheMikeyTheMikey Alum Member
    4196 karma

I like this idea.

I sometimes get an RC question wrong solely based on it being a vocabulary question and I'm like WELP, I have no damn clue what some of these words are lol

• mgaomgao Alum Member
    9 karma

I don't remember which sections/practice tests, but these come to mind:

Exculpatory
    Preponderance

I've never used either word in everyday life...