Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Tips?

LsatkayyLsatkayy Alum Member
edited September 2017 in Logical Reasoning 162 karma

What are some helpful tips for reading carefully in the LR section while trying to finish all the questions in the allotted time. I understand you should master all question types to help speed up the process, but all that flies out the window once the timer starts

Comments

• nevadacity37nevadacity37 Free Trial Member
    163 karma

Read for structure, not details. Don't get bogged down in the details. If you go back over a passage and highlight the exact sections, sentence(s) or phrase(s) in which an answer was to be found, I think you will see it is usually only a small portion of the passage. This might help alleviate that feeling that you need to grasp every single word. Also, if you are trying to "rush", you will retain little of it. Similarly, following the sentence lines with a pencil might help reduce backtracking or loosing your place in the passage.

• LsatkayyLsatkayy Alum Member
    162 karma

Thanks. I'll try thst

• TheMikeyTheMikey Alum Member
    4196 karma

@nevadacity37 said:
    Read for structure, not details. Don't get bogged down in the details. If you go back over a passage and highlight the exact sections, sentence(s) or phrase(s) in which an answer was to be found, I think you will see it is usually only a small portion of the passage. This might help alleviate that feeling that you need to grasp every single word. Also, if you are trying to "rush", you will retain little of it. Similarly, following the sentence lines with a pencil might help reduce backtracking or loosing your place in the passage.

are you talking about RC?

• TheMikeyTheMikey Alum Member
    4196 karma

LSATkayy,

mastering Q types really is key getting faster at them. if it all goes out the window once the timer is on, that can improve. trust me, I've been there before, the timer always screwed me up and made me nervous and everything I knew just went to crap. With lots of time and practice, this feeling will go away, you just have to be patient and trust the process.

Some general tips though:
    1. idk if the person above was talking about RC and misread your post, but I agree that you need to read for structure and identify what each part of an argument is, but in LR you definitely have to be attentive to small details because any little word can determine whether you get a question right or not.

always identify the conclusion and its supporting premises and the relationship between them!

1. for non-argument based questions like must be true and most strongly supported its just details and you have to usually string things together. for MBT questions, some of them can be very helpful if you use conditional logic, so I'd recommend practicing that. for the ones that don't use it, just try to tease something out of the stimulus with each idea given.

for MSS questions, these can be a bit tricky as the right AC can be a conclusion that could go at the end of the stimulus, it can also literally be a paraphrase of a single line in the stimulus or it can just be small ideas within the stimulus that are put together to give an AC that is supported.

• Paul CaintPaul Caint Alum Member
    3521 karma

for LR master the question types so they're second nature, but also understand the stimulus. You lose time in the ACs, not the stimulus. Read it, understand it before you move on. If you have to re-read a sentence because you didn't understand it, do it.

Increased clarity on what the argument is saying will help you eliminate ACs/guide you to the correct AC very very quickly.

But also for timing, LR becomes very cookie cutter - so practice will strengthen the heck out of your prephasing skills.

• LsatkayyLsatkayy Alum Member
    162 karma

Such great tips. You're all awesome thank you.