Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Getting discouraged as the test date approaches.

miguel6zavalamiguel6zavala Alum Member
edited September 2014 in General 71 karma
I am getting really frustrated and it is because my full time job has recently been brutal (ridiculously stressful). My job is directly affecting my studying in the last month. It just drains me and I cannot concentrate. This has destroyed my confidence for the September test. I was on my way to getting the score I wanted, but lately I have been bombing everything. After I leave work I am just mentally drained; I can't make inferences for LG, I forget the stimulus, and reading comp has been terrible. Thinking of canceling my September test, but it bums me out since I was at the score I wanted. It feels like I am burnt out, but not because of the LSAT, but because of WORK.

Any advice would be great. If anyone can relate or has any useful tips.

Comments

• ABCDELSATABCDELSAT Alum Member
    57 karma
    I kinda feel you. For example I used to get all the MP questions in any section right and all of a sudden it's gone! I now miss 2-3 of them on RC and some on LR! I have learned if I step back from LSAT mentally and take a few days break once in a while it helps.
  • ABCDELSATABCDELSAT Alum Member
    57 karma
    Oh! One more thing: try to close your eyes 10-15 minutes before bed and do the test on your head. You don't know the exact question when you do this but it's like learning to swim in your head. Imagine with details each move.
  • Artemis195Artemis195 Alum Member
    21 karma
    I can totally relate. Working as a full time RN in a busy department is not helpful for studying either!! What I've learned to do is to get as much sleep as possible. Even if this means sleeping in and missing some time studying, it invariably makes my studying time much more productive. Also, don't be afraid to have a few hours to yourself and do whatever you know will relax and refresh you. Right now it sounds like the best thing possible for you is relaxing and is probably even more valuable than cramming or studying too hard. Best of luck!
  • mjjohns6mjjohns6 Member
    418 karma
    Don't over do it. Take a day or two off from studying. Relax and do things that you like to get your mind off of work & studying.
  • thetalambda2thetalambda2 Alum Member
    9 karma
    I truly feel the same way. I look at the calendar and it feels like the 27th is just around the corner!!! Some days I feel positive and some days I feel like a total failure. I am still indecisive about cancelling the 27th. I am scheduled to take the LSAT in December as well, so cancelling is a reoccurring thought. At the same time, I would feel like a failure if I cancelled. Today I've decided to stick it out and take it, but who knows, tomorrow ill probably want to cancel. lol

"Working Hard is important, but there is something that matters even more: believing in yourself." Harry Potter :D

• thetalambda2thetalambda2 Alum Member
    9 karma
    Stay positive!! study!! You can do it!!
  • Nilesh SNilesh S Alum Inactive ⭐
    3438 karma
    Plus if you really feel that its an issue, postpone your test... there are people who have done that and it has worked for them... just make sure you can set out the right amount of time to study when you take it... i.e, weeknights should be yours and weekends should be sacred... of course this is a personal choice that only you have to make... the key is not to pressure yourself into thinking that you HAVE to give the test this time round or the weight of the world will fall on your shoulders. Best of Luck whatever you decide to do. Am sure you will do fine.
  • alwaysusanalwaysusan Alum Member
    113 karma
    Part of life is about sensing timing and priorities. It is important to let you mind rest. If you were scoring where you wanted to be, you have that. Just sounds like your mind is tired. Is your job telling you that it needs to be a priority right now? Is the added stress just a test of your endurance? Breath and follow the guidance of your heart. You are doing great! I admire your courage to dream a new dream. Smile. Today is a new day.
  • mes08mes08 Alum Member
    578 karma
    You mentioned being drained when you come home from work, which I totally relate to. Maybe one way to try and fix that is by getting up two hours earlier to study before you go to work. For me, that requires me to skip breakfast and wake up at 5:45am on weekdays to squeeze in two hours to study before work and then two hours after work (broken up one hour before and after dinner). I also try and spend 6-8 hours each day on the weekends. Although it was a pretty big struggle to adjust to getting up and waking up so early, it's been working for me and I feel much better about how my studying is progressing. I'm alert and focused in the morning and separating my studying into one-hour chunks isn't too draining. If that doesn't work for you, consider rescheduling and sitting the test in December. There's no point in taking it if you feel like you're not going to get the score you're aiming for. Better to take the test late with the score you wanted rather than be unhappy with your score from September. Good luck!
  • DrackedaryDrackedary Member
    239 karma
    I can relate to your situation. I work in a hospital, so work stresses me out and sometimes I have no energy when I get home. Here's a few things I found that helped me balance my LSAT responsibilities and work stress:

- Like Artemis195 said, getting a good night's sleep is crucial. Set a time for bed, and just go to bed. No exceptions.
    - A healthy diet is absolutely critical. Eating junk can make your stress levels and lack of energy from work even worst. I try to stick to a healthy, balanced diet with some supplements (greens, fish oil, multi-vitamins).
    - Exercise! This may sound like more effort, but it really pays off. The scientific literature is out there showing a link between exercise and lower stress levels.
    - Set a schedule. I schedule my LSAT study blocks around my full time work schedule plus my workout time. Why? Because it puts me in control of my time so I don't feel overwhelmed by all the stuff that needs doing. Also, by setting a schedule, you not only know when you need to do things, you also know when you need to STOP doing things and take a break.
    - And of course, take days off! I had previously burnt out from LSAT studying where I suddenly stop knowing what to do, like you. Take a few days off.

And don't be bum out about postponing. You still got two, maybe three if you count February, test dates for the 2015 intake.