Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

How to select an experimental section to add to a full PT?

BumblebeeBumblebee Member
in General 640 karma

Hey 7sagers,

I'm wondering from what sample of experimental sections you guys select to simulate a real LSAT exam.
Do you choose them from earlier PT's (1~40's) or do you break them up from recent ones (e.g. Full PT 71+ PT 65 Section 3 as an experimental section)?

I was thinking the latter has the advantage of being exposed to a more realistic LSAT since all the sections will be from a similar time period. But I'm also concerned that breaking up a recent PT into experimental sections would be a loss of a full recent PT.

What do you guys think!? thank you, as always!

Comments

• TheMikeyTheMikey Alum Member
    4196 karma

You can just use sections from the 40s or 50s, it doesn't really matter much, imo.

Or depending on your time frame before your test, you can prob use some recent tests as experimentals. It's all testing basically the same concepts though, so if you use a 40s or 50s section as an exp it will still be very useful

• BumblebeeBumblebee Member
    640 karma

@TheMikey said:
    You can just use sections from the 40s or 50s, it doesn't really matter much, imo.

Or depending on your time frame before your test, you can prob use some recent tests as experimentals. It's all testing basically the same concepts though, so if you use a 40s or 50s section as an exp it will still be very useful

Thank you for the advice!! :)

• Cant Get RightCant Get Right Yearly + Live Member Sage 🍌 7Sage Tutor
    edited September 2017 27809 karma

I think I stole this from @"Daniel.Sieradzki" , but definitely my favorite experimental approach: Choose one PT to break apart as your experimental, so that over four PTs, you've taken the whole thing. As you BR each test, go ahead and work it and do everything like you would normally. At the end of the fourth test, you'll magically have completed an extra PT. Finish BRing it, then plug everything in to analytics just like you would normally. Not only have you squeezed in an extra PT, you've made yourself care about your performance on the experimental, and you've made it count.

• john1234-1john1234-1 Alum Member
    426 karma

Bumping for @"Cant Get Right" 's comment for those of using wanting to incorporate 5 section PTs. I think this is really smart for folks for work full time and can only PT on weekends. Like can't get right said, you get an extra PT in each month!

• john1234-1john1234-1 Alum Member
    426 karma

Does anyone have any advice as to where to put the fifth section within the PT? Randomly might be ideal, but would at the end work? (since you are going to grade it too, you should be incentivized to do your best?)

Any thoughts are appreciated.

• Cant Get RightCant Get Right Yearly + Live Member Sage 🍌 7Sage Tutor
    27809 karma

@"Always Be Closing" said:
    Bumping for @"Cant Get Right" 's comment for those of using wanting to incorporate 5 section PTs. I think this is really smart for folks for work full time and can only PT on weekends. Like can't get right said, you get an extra PT in each month!

I stole it from the best!

@"Always Be Closing" said:
    Does anyone have any advice as to where to put the fifth section within the PT? Randomly might be ideal, but would at the end work? (since you are going to grade it too, you should be incentivized to do your best?)

Any thoughts are appreciated.

I usually move mine around. Different sections have different feels. On section 1, you're probably not warmed up yet. On section 5, you're probably kinda tired. On section 4, you're just back from the break and a little refreshed but maybe with broken momentum. To move it around, I usually will just insert it either before or after the same numbered section from the main PT. That way you don't get an all first/fifth/whatever section PT which wouldn't reflect the various states of mind from different sections. It's a minor thing, but easy enough to account for.

• edited December 2018 534 karma

I'd use test sections from as early as the 20s and 30s. The test has evolved, but many of those sections are still relevant to doing well on modern tests. As in, they require many of the same big-picture skills needed to do well on modern LSATs. That being said, thinking back to the exams this year, I'd say the RC and LG sections from the earlier tests more relevant than the LR sections. I thought that the LGs from PT 28-32 (27 & 33, 34 too if you need more), in particular, had some tough games that flexed my LG muscles to a new level.

• Regis_Phalange63Regis_Phalange63 Alum Member
    1058 karma

Some games from PT 20 to 29 will blow your mind. I highly recommend doing them as experimental. The infamous lizard/snake will be waiting for you.