Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

LSAT Testing :)

Sara_3080Sara_3080 Alum Member
edited September 2018 in General 432 karma

-deleted-

Comments

• tanes256tanes256 Alum Member
    2573 karma

@Sarah_39 I don't think any of us can answer many of your questions. You should contact LSAC for the best advice. If 50% is sufficient I wouldn't go for 100% just because you would like more time. You have to provide more info for 100% and I personally think it is scrutinized more critically so make sure you go above and beyond what's necessary and that your letter (yes, I would submit one even though it's not required) and your doctor's personal letter is very detailed and very thorough. If you are denied 100% you could ask for 50% in your appeal, I think but again I'm not sure if you can change your time request on appeal or, if appeals are just to provide additional info. Also, I didn't think there was a 50% or less. I thought it was just 50% or 100% additional time. Seems like that would create havoc if you have more than one student testing with accommodations at a specific location. All 50% in one room and all 100% in another room. Doesn't seem like they'd stop you at 45 mins, another student at 40 mins and another student at 52 mins but again, double check.

• ElleWoods77ElleWoods77 Alum Member
    1184 karma

I am looking into the same thing for my current issue.

This is straight from the statement of need for accommodations:
    Category 1 Requests—No extended time requested.
    The statement should provide a reasonable explanation for why the candidate needs the testing accommodation to best
    ensure that the LSAT results accurately reflect the aptitude or achievement level of the candidate. The candidate may
    provide this statement. More than one statement may be provided in support of the request for testing accommodations.
    Category 2 Requests—50% extended time for candidates who do not have severe visual impairments or 100%
    extended time for candidates with severe visual impairments which require taking the test in an alternative
    format.
    The statement should provide a reasonable explanation for why the candidate needs the testing accommodation to best
    ensure that the LSAT results accurately reflect the aptitude or achievement level of the candidate. The candidate may
    provide this statement. More than one statement may be provided in support of the request for testing accommodation.
    Category 3 Requests—“Exceptional Needs”—More than 50% extended test time for candidates who do not have
    severe visual impairments or more than 100% extended test time for candidates with severe visual impairments
    which require taking the test in an alternative format.
    provide this statement. More than one statement may be provided in support of the request for testing accommodation.
    The statement should explain why more than 50% extra time is necessary so that the candidate’s test results accurately
    reflect his or her aptitude or achievement levels. The statement should be supported with appropriate data or other
    relevant information in support of the request.

I would talk about it with your doctor and evaluate your situation. I would not request anymore time than you need unless you can prove you must have that time. From my understanding, I think Category 3 is for the most severe cases.

• Sara_3080Sara_3080 Alum Member
    edited September 2018 432 karma

@tanes256 @ElleWoods77

Thanks for the responses!

• LCMama2017LCMama2017 Alum Member
    2134 karma

I always wondered how people got extra time with this test.

• stepharizonastepharizona Alum Member
    3197 karma

I helped one of the people I tutor get level 3 aka 100% time. He had received similar accommodations in high school and on the ACT. He first had applied only 50% for a previous Take and was approved but for December I went through his paperwork of previous accommodations and worked with him to submitted it at the higher level. That's the best way to get 100% time. You need to be able to show you've had that accommodation before. Or have a vision issue that developed post school that's severe. Talk to your doctors too. If there is substantial need you might be approved, past history is best, but you'll have to clearly demonstrate why 50% isn't enough.

• ElleWoods77ElleWoods77 Alum Member
    1184 karma

@stepharizona said:
    I helped one of the people I tutor get level 3 aka 100% time. He had received similar accommodations in high school and on the ACT. He first had applied only 50% for a previous Take and was approved but for December I went through his paperwork of previous accommodations and worked with him to submitted it at the higher level. That's the best way to get 100% time. You need to be able to show you've had that accommodation before. Or have a vision issue that developed post school that's severe. Talk to your doctors too. If there is substantial need you might be approved, past history is best, but you'll have to clearly demonstrate why 50% isn't enough.

This is good to know, thank you so much. I will get with my tutor and get his opinion once I am able to get back up on the horse.

• Sara_3080Sara_3080 Alum Member
    edited September 2018 432 karma

@stepharizona Thanks for the response!