Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Problems with law and science-related passages

mes08mes08 Alum Member
edited September 2014 in Reading Comprehension 578 karma
As the test date approaches, I'm trying to study and improve as quickly as possible. I'm still making mistakes in the law and science related passages of RC. I've already been reading a lot of science sites/magazines, but I'm not sure what else I can do. Any recommendations would be immensely appreciated! :)

Comments

• turnercmturnercm Alum Member 🍌
    770 karma
    for science passages, they suggested listening to the RadioLab podcast. I'm not sure if its helping me in RC, but its definitely interesting to listen to!!!

don't forget to act like you're interested in the passage and looking forward to what comes next as you read.

and remember, having a deep understanding the content, while helpful, isn't as important as recognizing the argument and structure of the passage! you can do it!!!! :)
  • Will EdwardsWill Edwards Alum Member Inactive Sage
    175 karma
    What I'm going to suggest is not a two-week solution, but maybe you can implement part of it or save it for next time if you re-take. Or maybe it'll help someone else who is studying for December.

I think the best way to get better at RC (particularly specific subject matter) is to read some books that offer a broad review of a subject. This type of book will cover a lot of ground quickly and get you introduced to the concepts of a subject and how they relate to each other. It helps to not be hitting totally new material in the RC. You don't need to know all about it, but if you are familiar with the concepts discussed, you can concentrate on structure and arguments in the passage more easily.

Articles on the other hand discuss a particular issue in depth. This is what RC passages often do themselves, so it isn't bad to read articles, but chances are against you that you will bump up against the same subject matter in RC.