Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Combating Bad Fatigue & Burnout, but Anxious When I Take Breaks

kshutes13kshutes13 Member
in General 634 karma

Hi everyone,

I've been studying for the December LSAT (I started ~2 weeks ago) and I'm already having serious burnout problems. I will start my day early, around 6:00am, to go to the gym, shower, have breakfast and be studying by 9:00am. I'll work for a bit, get distracted, get back to work, etc.... and then at around 3pm every single day (like clockwork!!) I will fall asleep in the middle of studying.

Sometimes it's straight up falling asleep at my desk, other times it's "let me relax for like 5 minutes" and then I fall asleep for 1hr+. It completely takes me out of the LSAT mindset and then takes me forever to get back into it after I wake up. I know that a lot of people's advice is to take breaks (even for days), but I get crazy anxious when I'm not looking at the material because I feel like I'm not giving myself enough time to study - does anyone else get like this?

Does anyone have any advice on how they've been combating burnout or fatigue for the December LSAT? Any tips or tricks that really get them feeling awake and into the material?!

Also, just wanted to mention - this is such an incredible community! One time I made the mistake of posting on lawstudents.ca and I got eaten alive ... lol. Thanks for taking the time to read this & happy studies!!! :)

Comments

• LRae2017LRae2017 Member
    32 karma

@kshutes13 YES!!! I am right there with you. I feel like I am not getting it as well as everyone else so I get really down on myself and irritated then I walk away and the WHOLE time I am freaking out about how I need to get back to studying!
    I totally know what you are going through. I drink coffee and usually try telling my husband and think about everyone counting on me then I get back into it lol. I know I am not doing it right but at least I am doing something? I am not even half way through the curriculum, and supposed to be taking the DEC lsat also.

• Paul CaintPaul Caint Alum Member
    3521 karma

I didn't believe in burnout. I thought burnout was just something people said ti justify their laziness or why they weren't studying.

But trust me. Burnout. Is. Real.

And it shouldn't be overlooked. Trust me.

I spent the entirety of May learning just logic games. I studied for probably 6-8 hours per day, only stopping for lunch. It paid off. I started doing drilling, and at the beginning everything was going well. I wouldn't miss any questions! Going -0 on all these LG sections. I would literally do logic games from 9am to 5pm every day. And for a week, it was all going well.

But the next week, I started missing questions. I went from -0 on sections to literally -5, -8, or even -10. Some questions I couldn't even begin to answer, not because I didn't know how to do them but just because my mind wasn't working. I had to take a whole week off of studying, and for 3 days of that week I wasn't capable of really thinking about ANYTHING. One time my brother was talking to me and then asked me what he had just said, and I honestly could not answer.

Point being, BURNOUT IS REAL AND YOU NEED REST! I was just like you, if I took time off I would get anxious and try to get back to studying again. But the LSAT is a lot like lifting weights - you can't work your biceps every day and expect them to grow! They need time to recover! You may be able to curl 50 lbs on Monday, but you'll be too sore to curl even 25lbs by Tuesday.

TL;DR/Main Point: Even though you are resting - which may seem like a "passive" activity, you are actually ACTIVELY improving your LSAT by taking some time off. Only study for like 4-5 hours a day maximum, and take days off - like weekends and stuff. Remember weekends?

Good luck to you in your studying and I hope this helps :)

• Cant Get RightCant Get Right Yearly + Live Member Sage 🍌 7Sage Tutor
    27821 karma

You've got to find your rhythm. It took me about a month before I really hit my stride and was able to stick strickly to my schedule. Maybe add an afternoon nap/coffee to your routine. Find what works, then stick to it like clockwork so you physically/mentally adjusts to the schedule. Studying for the LSAT requires high energy and mental alertness, so you've got to manage your energy levels to stay sharp during your study time.

• TinaTheLlamaTinaTheLlama Member
    91 karma

@kshutes13
    I used to work out early in the mornings too and would have a terrible afternoon slump and would often take an hr+ nap. You might try a light afternoon caffeine boost (light! do not put yourself through a caffeine adrenal rollercoaster - my mistake these past couple weeks) AND/OR a light afternoon work out. Short jog or calisthenics. If you haven't already. It is not worth it trying to plow through. If you aren't too sleepy in the morning you might try doing evening work outs instead. I find it nice these days waking up early after a good workout and shower the previous night, having some tea or coffee and getting to work.

• kshutes13kshutes13 Member
    634 karma

@LRae2017 said:
    @kshutes13 YES!!! I am right there with you. I feel like I am not getting it as well as everyone else so I get really down on myself and irritated then I walk away and the WHOLE time I am freaking out about how I need to get back to studying!
    I totally know what you are going through. I drink coffee and usually try telling my husband and think about everyone counting on me then I get back into it lol. I know I am not doing it right but at least I am doing something? I am not even half way through the curriculum, and supposed to be taking the DEC lsat also.

Everyone goes at their own pace - I'm only10% into the Ultimate Guide and I'm taking the December LSAT too! One way that I motivate myself is by reminding myself of the people who I will be helping if I get into law school and practice -- the better I do, the more of a chance other people have in fighting battles that they deserve to win (but might not necessarily have the means to do so). Keep raging on!!!

634 karma

@"Paul Caint" said:
    I didn't believe in burnout. I thought burnout was just something people said ti justify their laziness or why they weren't studying.

But trust me. Burnout. Is. Real.

And it shouldn't be overlooked. Trust me.

I spent the entirety of May learning just logic games. I studied for probably 6-8 hours per day, only stopping for lunch. It paid off. I started doing drilling, and at the beginning everything was going well. I wouldn't miss any questions! Going -0 on all these LG sections. I would literally do logic games from 9am to 5pm every day. And for a week, it was all going well.

But the next week, I started missing questions. I went from -0 on sections to literally -5, -8, or even -10. Some questions I couldn't even begin to answer, not because I didn't know how to do them but just because my mind wasn't working. I had to take a whole week off of studying, and for 3 days of that week I wasn't capable of really thinking about ANYTHING. One time my brother was talking to me and then asked me what he had just said, and I honestly could not answer.

Point being, BURNOUT IS REAL AND YOU NEED REST! I was just like you, if I took time off I would get anxious and try to get back to studying again. But the LSAT is a lot like lifting weights - you can't work your biceps every day and expect them to grow! They need time to recover! You may be able to curl 50 lbs on Monday, but you'll be too sore to curl even 25lbs by Tuesday.

TL;DR/Main Point: Even though you are resting - which may seem like a "passive" activity, you are actually ACTIVELY improving your LSAT by taking some time off. Only study for like 4-5 hours a day maximum, and take days off - like weekends and stuff. Remember weekends?

Good luck to you in your studying and I hope this helps :)

Much MUCH appreciated - this really helps!! It's true, sometimes I notice that I work so hard and then the next day I'm getting 0/12 on the drills - and it's because I've just had a total brain fart (not because I've misunderstood the material).

I really like your analogy between studying for the LSAT and lifting weights - considering I do tons of cardio in the mornings lately, and my calves are killing me, I know it's time for me to take a day off -- just as easily as I would take a mental day off when studying. I definitely should start considering resting/relaxing as actively improving my ability to do well on the LSAT; this would help to calm my anxious thoughts about being lazy. Thank you so much for this advice, it was really needed!

edited September 2017 634 karma

@"Cant Get Right" said:
    You've got to find your rhythm. It took me about a month before I really hit my stride and was able to stick strickly to my schedule. Maybe add an afternoon nap/coffee to your routine. Find what works, then stick to it like clockwork so you physically/mentally adjusts to the schedule. Studying for the LSAT requires high energy and mental alertness, so you've got to manage your energy levels to stay sharp during your study time.

A schedule is a great idea. I recently got a volunteer position at an office in downtown Toronto that is from 9am to 12pm. It's really close to the library as well. I am hoping that my schedule will be something like 6am workout, in the office by 9am, lunch at noon, library from 1pm to whenever I feel done for the day (a good 5-7 hours of studying) and then home to be with family. I think the balancing of volunteer work will help deter mental burnout because I won't be thinking about the LSAT 24/7 all day every day - I have other things to do. Being at home with nothing to do other than study can really mess with your brain. Thank you so much!!

@TinaTheLlama said:
    @kshutes13
    I used to work out early in the mornings too and would have a terrible afternoon slump and would often take an hr+ nap. You might try a light afternoon caffeine boost (light! do not put yourself through a caffeine adrenal rollercoaster - my mistake these past couple weeks) AND/OR a light afternoon work out. Short jog or calisthenics. If you haven't already. It is not worth it trying to plow through. If you aren't too sleepy in the morning you might try doing evening work outs instead. I find it nice these days waking up early after a good workout and shower the previous night, having some tea or coffee and getting to work.

I was actually thinking the other day that an early morning workout might be one of the reasons why I'm dead by 3pm -- I've been active for a solid 9 hours already. I like your plan - maybe I'll try it tonight and see how it goes. Thanks for the tips :)

• sillllyxosillllyxo Alum Member
    708 karma

@kshutes13 said:

@"Cant Get Right" said:

A schedule is a great idea. I recently got a volunteer position at an office in downtown Toronto that is from 9am to 12pm. It's really close to the library as well. I am hoping that my schedule will be something like 6am workout, in the office by 9am, lunch at noon, library from 1pm to whenever I feel done for the day (a good 5-7 hours of studying) and then home to be with family. I think the balancing of volunteer work will help deter mental burnout because I won't be thinking about the LSAT 24/7 all day every day - I have other things to do. Being at home with nothing to do other than study can really mess with your brain. Thank you so much!!

omg i'm sooooo JEALOUS. I LOVE TORONTO

708 karma

@kshutes13 said:
    Hi everyone,

I've been studying for the December LSAT (I started ~2 weeks ago) and I'm already having serious burnout problems. I will start my day early, around 6:00am, to go to the gym, shower, have breakfast and be studying by 9:00am. I'll work for a bit, get distracted, get back to work, etc.... and then at around 3pm every single day (like clockwork!!) I will fall asleep in the middle of studying.

Sometimes it's straight up falling asleep at my desk, other times it's "let me relax for like 5 minutes" and then I fall asleep for 1hr+. It completely takes me out of the LSAT mindset and then takes me forever to get back into it after I wake up. I know that a lot of people's advice is to take breaks (even for days), but I get crazy anxious when I'm not looking at the material because I feel like I'm not giving myself enough time to study - does anyone else get like this?

Does anyone have any advice on how they've been combating burnout or fatigue for the December LSAT? Any tips or tricks that really get them feeling awake and into the material?!

Also, just wanted to mention - this is such an incredible community! One time I made the mistake of posting on lawstudents.ca and I got eaten alive ... lol. Thanks for taking the time to read this & happy studies!!! :)

Honest opinion you may need to postpone if you are feeling like you just don't have the time and need to be looking at it every single minute. I'm totally with you but to me that's what it sounds like that you are super anxious to learn everything at once.

I don't know where you are with your studies but that is something to take into consideration depending on what you are aiming for :)

634 karma

@sillllyxo said:

@kshutes13 said:
    Hi everyone,

Honest opinion you may need to postpone if you are feeling like you just don't have the time and need to be looking at it every single minute. I'm totally with you but to me that's what it sounds like that you are super anxious to learn everything at once.

I don't know where you are with your studies but that is something to take into consideration depending on what you are aiming for :)

Definitely appreciate the honest opinion!! :smile: I think I just feel like I don't have enough time & need to be looking at the material 24/7 because this is the first time I'm studying & writing for the LSAT -- I've always battled with the notion that some people can take 1 month to study versus one of my friends who wrote last year needed 4 months. So how long is it gonna take me?! 1 month or 4?! I know it's completely dependent on the person, but because it's my 1st time and I'm only 2 weeks in, I don't really know my own pace yet.

So I guess the anxiety comes from me thinking I don't have enough time because I don't really know how long it would take me personally to get through all the material. There are some things I'm flying through and other things I'm spending days on. At the end of the day, if I don't feel prepared for the December test, I can just continue studying and write the one in February too.

708 karma

@kshutes13 said:

@sillllyxo said:

@kshutes13 said:
    Hi everyone,

Definitely appreciate the honest opinion!! :smile: I think I just feel like I don't have enough time & need to be looking at the material 24/7 because this is the first time I'm studying & writing for the LSAT -- I've always battled with the notion that some people can take 1 month to study versus one of my friends who wrote last year needed 4 months. So how long is it gonna take me?! 1 month or 4?! I know it's completely dependent on the person, but because it's my 1st time and I'm only 2 weeks in, I don't really know my own pace yet.

So I guess the anxiety comes from me thinking I don't have enough time because I don't really know how long it would take me personally to get through all the material. There are some things I'm flying through and other things I'm spending days on. At the end of the day, if I don't feel prepared for the December test, I can just continue studying and write the one in February too.

I have been studying on an off for the exam going on 4 years and recently actually studying full time. You really need to give yourself a solid 6-9 months of full time studying imo. I would watch some of the webinars. They have been very helpful.

708 karma

also of course depends what you are aiming for!

• sneakymurphsneakymurph Member
    56 karma

@sillllyxo I think you and I are kindred LSAT spirits.

@sillllyxo said:

@kshutes13 said:

@sillllyxo said:

@kshutes13 said:
    Hi everyone,

I have been studying on an off for the exam going on 4 years and recently actually studying full time. You really need to give yourself a solid 6-9 months of full time studying imo. I would watch some of the webinars. They have been very helpful.

Ah wow good for you! :) I think J.Y. mentioned somewhere at the beginning that even though it's different for everyone, you should give yourself at least 3 or 4 months minimum, which is what I had aimed to do but life called and I couldn't get to studying right away. We'll see how it all plays out. Good luck!!

@sillllyxo said:
    also of course depends what you are aiming for!

And yeah - the top law schools in Canada are not as competitive as top law schools in the U.S. -- I have a great CGPA/LORS/ECs/resume, so I'm aiming for between a 160-165. The top school in Canada usually has students with 165, and the middle-ranking schools have a minimum of 155-157. Once you're in the 160s range, and you are confident with your CGPA, LORs, ECs and resume, you could be pretty confident to get into most law schools of your choice in Canada (of course assuming you don't have serious deterrents on your app like a terrible personal statement or a criminal record lol).

• nolanmelsonnolanmelson Free Trial Member
    8 karma

When I start to feel sleepy, I study standing up at a standing desk or counter top. That usually gets me another 60-90 minutes of study time before my feet get tired and I need to take a break.