Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Personal Section on Resume?

Charlesroy100Charlesroy100 Member
edited September 2017 in Webinars 43 karma

How do you guys feel about that? The webinar from last night got me thinking. Mine would mention that I am the sole provider for my mother and sister since my father’s passing in 2013.

Have a Personal Section?
  1. Have a personal section?13 votes
    1. No
      61.54%
    2. Yes
      38.46%

Comments

• Paul CaintPaul Caint Alum Member
    3521 karma

Eh I'm unsure. Whatever they said in the webinar I would follow that, since I'm no expert.

But when I was hiring interns, and when my colleagues were also hiring, we always viewed the "personal" section of resumes as kind of tacky..

Especially since you have the opportunity to write a personal statement, a diversity statement, and for many schools optional addenda, the resume seems like an awkward or redundant place to put that kind of stuff. Something as big as being a sole provider for your family for the past four years should be something you delve into and explain and really flush out in a personal statement. To just offhandedly mention it in a resume wouldn't do something of such gravity justice.

But again I'm no expert, just my thoughts.

• akistotleakistotle Member 🍌🍌
    edited September 2017 9377 karma

I did not attend the webinar, but my resume (edited by a professional) has a personal section. I made a list of languages I speak and some interests.

I like Sample Resumes on Job Search Toolkit page of HLS:
    http://hls.harvard.edu/dept/opia/job-search-toolkit/sample-resumes/

• StellaBlueStellaBlue Alum Member
    185 karma

I've always viewed the personal section as a way to put in something sort of fun that wouldn't come across anywhere else on your application. I mention that I bake bread and am a certified Wilderness First Responder.

@Charlesroy100, where you have something serious and valuable to say, I personally would put something as important as providing for your family in a diversity statement or personal statement. It'll be more likely to get the weight it deserves

• Charlesroy100Charlesroy100 Member
    43 karma

Thank you so much everyone for your response. I decided to pull it from the Resume. @StellaBlue that's a great idea to put it in the diversity statement.