Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Letters of Rec are almost 5 years old ~

sillllyxosillllyxo Alum Member

So my letters of rec are from January of 2014. I am applying most likely for this cycle or maybe the next. Is it ok to apply with these letters?

I have been out of school and not in the work force for the last 2.5 years while staying home with my son, so I have absolutely no one to get new letters of rec from.

So my dilemma is ~ should I apply with these letters or reach out to my recommenders for a new letter of rec with an updated year? I am almost positive they would remember me as i was very close with all of my professors and in a small college.

Comments

• Seeking PerfectionSeeking Perfection Alum Member
    edited October 2017 4423 karma

Most of the law schools prefer academic letters of rec and want people with life experience outside of college. So I doubt they have a big problem with old letters of rec.

On the other hand, I remember reading that it was ideal to give your recommenders a copy of your personal statement and resume when having them write a recommendation so they can better make their letter flow with your application. You can't do that without contacting them for an updated letter. So if you are certain they still remember you as fondly and specifically as when they wrote the original, what do you have to lose?

• sillllyxosillllyxo Alum Member
    708 karma

@"Seeking Perfection" said:
    Most of the law schools prefer academic letters of rec and want people with life experience outside of college. So I doubt they have a big problem with old letters of rec.

On the other hand, I remember reading that it was ideal to give your recommenders a copy of your personal statement and resume when having them write a recommendation so they can better make their letter flow with your application. You can't do that without contacting them for an updated letter. So if you are certain they still remember you as fondly and specifically as when they wrote the original, what do you have to lose?

That's what I was thinking. I think after I write my PS I'm going to contact them and see if they could update it especially since I still live in the area.

• sillllyxosillllyxo Alum Member
    708 karma

@"Seeking Perfection" said:

thanks for the advice! Also sorry about what happened to you on the forums the other day. That was horrible to read and glad the offender is banned.