Pre-Exam Anxiety

JerryClarke242JerryClarke242 Alum Member
in General 602 karma

Hello all,

As it gets closer and closer to the December exam, I find myself becoming more and more anxious to do well. In between CC lessons and even after I'm done for the day, my brain keeps saying
"gotta pass" "gotta pass" "gotta pass". I know the LSAT is not a pass/fail test, but you all know what I mean. Going to law school is my dream, and my parents have been supporting me both emotionally and financially my entire life. I wouldn't have made it this far if they did not believe in me. Once I accomplish my goals, my family wont have to support me anymore, and I can finally return the favor. I just want to make them proud, but I am not exactly sure how to calm down to ensure I perform at my very best. Sometimes I even start shaking. All thoughts and suggestions are welcomed.

Comments

• FerdaFreshFerdaFresh Alum Member
    561 karma

At the beginning of the CC, J.Y. tells us to start studying for the LSAT without a set date in mind, then sign up once you feel you are "ready" (either "ready" to perform your best or "ready" to perform decent enough for your target score). I think he denounces the "sign up for test first, study later" mentality for exactly this reason!

That being said, I didn't follow J.Y.'s advice. I think it's great -- absolutely ideal -- but I gave myself a 4 month window to do "decent." You gave yourself a shorter window. So, maybe instead of asking yourself "how do I calm down to perform my best," you should ask yourself "why am I feeling this way?" Likely, it is because you feel under-prepared and overwhelmed. Likely, that is because you aren't hitting target scores with PTs.

Really, you have two routes to go: (1) sit in for the December test, or (2) listen to that beginning-of-the-CC-advice and postpone. If you're absolutely adamant on starting law school next year at the expense of getting a fantastic LSAT score, it's understandable... there are obviously pros and cons to postponing. If you haven't already, I think you should take a couple timed PTs. Then see where you're scoring, and if your scores are "acceptable" or near acceptable, then great -- you might be good for December. But if you're not PTing where you want to be a couple weeks before the test, I think I speak for everyone that you shouldn't bank on a miracle come test day; you won't magically score 10+ points higher.

Wish the best!

• OlamHafuchOlamHafuch Alum Member
    2326 karma

I think it is harder to deal with anxiety if you look at December as your "only chance" to succeed. If you allow for the possibility of one or more retakes, it will be easier to approach the December test with less anxiety.

• mcmlaw36mcmlaw36 Alum Member
    edited October 2017 631 karma

I can relate @JayClarke242. I've been studying for 1.5 years, feel prepared and still have a hard time getting through the day without thinking about the pressure ahead. In my opinion, no amount of preparation will ever truly take that away. I've also written twice. Whether or not it's your first take, or your last, the nerves are real.

I'm pretty sure it was @"Alex Divine" who suggested this book: "Performing Under Pressure - Hendrie Weisinger" -- https://www.amazon.com/Performing-Under-Pressure-Science-Matters/dp/B00SYZR4AW.

I ordered it on Amazon and it has been incredibly helpful so far :smile:

• akistotleakistotle Member 🍌🍌
    9377 karma

I have some suggestions:

1. Meditate
    Meditation can help you:

2. Register for the February LSAT as well (if you cannot postpone)
    Some schools do take February LSAT scores, so you can have a backup plan.

3. Remember that your parents will love you and be proud of you no matter what.
    Sounds like you have great parents :blush: I know you feel the pressure because you want to make them proud, but I'm sure they already are. So I recommend that you stop thinking too much about them.

• AlexAlex Alum Member
    23929 karma

@mcmlaw36 said:
    I can relate @JayClarke242. I've been studying for 1.5 years, feel prepared and still have a hard time getting through the day without thinking about the pressure ahead. In my opinion, no amount of preparation will ever truly take that away. I've also written twice. Whether or not it's your first take, or your last, the nerves are real.

I'm pretty sure it was @"Alex Divine" who suggested this book: "Performing Under Pressure - Hendrie Weisinger" -- https://www.amazon.com/Performing-Under-Pressure-Science-Matters/dp/B00SYZR4AW.

I ordered it on Amazon and it has been incredibly helpful so far :smile:

:) I'm so happy to hear that @mcmlaw36