Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Personal statement writers block

CIICII.LOPEZCIICII.LOPEZ Free Trial Member

Hello, Im in the beginning stage of writing my personal statement, however i am having super writer's block and i'm stuck. I dont know what direction i should take my essay. Its so difficult because i am a career changer , from medical to law and all my experience are medical related. so if there is anyone who would like to review it and maybe throw some ideas in that would be helpful.

Comments

• NotMyNameNotMyName Alum Member Sage
    5320 karma

I can't review it but I have an idea which may help to dislodge your block.

Yesterday I was listening to an old Joe Rogan podcast. He is a comedian and he had several comedian friends on that show that day. At one point they discussed their process for writing jokes and entire sets of jokes. One thing they all agreed on was that walking outside helped them in various ways; they found themselves more creative during that time and less likely to be unhelpfully distracted (cell phones, TVs, etc).

What you may consider is going for a walk. I think city-scapes work best for this, at least in my case. Maybe bring a pen and pad. You could bring your phone for voice recordings but the temptation to use facebook may be too great.

Anyway, as a career changer, there is probably something behind such a big move. You just need to allow that to come to surface and present itself. Or maybe you know what it is but you just need to organize/phrase it differently. Best of luck

• CIICII.LOPEZCIICII.LOPEZ Free Trial Member
    15 karma

@jkatz1488 thank you so much. I know why i made such a big change but its all about how to put it together and organize it.

• AlexAlex Alum Member
    23929 karma

@"CIICII.LOPEZ" said:
    Hello, Im in the beginning stage of writing my personal statement, however i am having super writer's block and i'm stuck. I dont know what direction i should take my essay. Its so difficult because i am a career changer , from medical to law and all my experience are medical related. so if there is anyone who would like to review it and maybe throw some ideas in that would be helpful.

Your more than welcome to send it over.

For writer's block, just start writing. You're bound to get a bunch of cobwebs at first, but if you just keep forcing yourself to write something, eventually you'll get something. My current PS was number one of like 6 different full PS topics I wrote about. It was also probably the only good one. For some reason #6 seems to have been the one. Just keep going!

• Victoria14Victoria14 Alum Member
    776 karma

First off, just write. It could be absolute garbage but you gotta get the crap out before the good stuff starts to flow.