Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

to retake our not?

ppcoelho1ppcoelho1 Alum Member
in General 156 karma

I got a 167 on the september test, and I am happy with it but i was hoping for a 170+
Cornell is my dream school, so i was hoping to get peoples' opinions here and see if i should take one more shot at the test?
hope everyone who took the test performed as they wished!!

Comments

• PositivePositive Alum Member
    426 karma

Assuming you were PTing 170s or even high 160s, I would take it again on Dec.

if you can hit 168+, which is Cornell's 75th, you have a good chance for $$$.
    Even if you dont do well(167 or below), the school will still consider your highest score, so you got nothing to lose.

• AlexAlex Alum Member
    23929 karma

@"Kings Never Die" said:
    Assuming you were PTing 170s or even high 160s, I would take it again on Dec.

if you can hit 168+, which is Cornell's 75th, you have a good chance for $$$.
    Even if you dont do well(167 or below), the school will still consider your highest score, so you got nothing to lose.

This for sure... ^^^

• Seeking PerfectionSeeking Perfection Alum Member
    4428 karma

I see little reason not to retake, but then again my retake just went pretty well.

What's the harm in applying with your present score, but retaking in December and or February?

• m.deardenm.dearden Member
    28 karma

I'm in a very similar position. I scored 170+ on most all my PTs, but ended up with a 168 when it counted...

In aiming for the top schools (as you are with Cornell), I've always tried to remain aware of the bigger picture. Personally, I've started to entertain the option of deferring.

I want my application to unequivocally display my merit. To that end, a 168 simply won't suffice. But my particular situation may be different: I don't have a strong résumé, nor any extraordinary involvement in extracurriculars; and I'm considerably behind on my applications.

Actually, my aspirations of law school emerged only recently. I spent my undergraduate education hellbent on pursuing medicine. I majored in biochemistry, and devoted myself to the "pre-med" academia. The topic of law, let alone the career, was always foreign to me.

As I began to grasp a better understanding of healthcare, and the legal framework to which it is subject, it became apparent to me that the extent of influence I endeavored for could only be realized in a legal sphere.

I know I'm capable of scoring higher. But my application relies on a persuasive score. I only have my GPA and my September LSAT; otherwise, I'm barren as a law school candidate. Although I do have a strong GPA, and we should all be proud of overcoming the daunting feat that is the LSAT, I refuse to be satisfied with my score. My objectives haven't changed, only the timeline. I'm looking toward February, eager for a second chance.

Nevertheless, coupled with your particular application, the same score could be more alluring...

Deferring is certainly not an option for everybody, but for those who it is, I encourage you to discard your reluctance and at least consider the option.

• ppcoelho1ppcoelho1 Alum Member
    edited October 2017 156 karma

@"Kings Never Die" @"Alex Divine" @m.dearden Thank you for the input!! You are right, there's no reason for me not to retake