3.58 & 167 - should I retake for UCLA/USC?

saturnsunsaturnsun Free Trial Member
in General 156 karma

Hi there! My GPA is 3.58 and my Sept. 2017 score is 167. I wanted to submit my application earlier than December, but it seems that my chances for UCLA and USC are below 50% with these numbers (and probably $0 scholarship if I did get in). I have 8 years of work experience in the legal field. Should I start studying again? Thanks!!

Comments

• Socrat3sSocrat3s Alum Member
    edited October 2017 92 karma

With your work experience you definitely have a shot, and your lsat is above those schools' medians for accepted applicants, but I'd retake. One thing to keep in mind is that applying early in the cycle adds an advantage, as there is some slight LSAT score inflation late in the cycle (people applying with their first take early vs those applying later with additional study time for their second take)

• Leah M BLeah M B Alum Member
    8392 karma

That's a tough call. It looks like you'd have better odds at USC than UCLA, if that makes a difference. That LSAT is median at UCLA and above 75th at USC. It could only benefit you to get a higher score though to make up for the GPA being on the lower side. I think if I were you, I might apply early like you were planning but also take the December LSAT. Even if you already applied, that can help you. They will receive the score and if they haven't already made the decision then they can factor it in. Or if a decision was already made, you could use the higher score for scholarship negotiations.

• AlexAlex Alum Member
    23929 karma

@"gillian.s.hawley" said:
    Hi there! My GPA is 3.58 and my Sept. 2017 score is 167. I wanted to submit my application earlier than December, but it seems that my chances for UCLA and USC are below 50% with these numbers (and probably $0 scholarship if I did get in). I have 8 years of work experience in the legal field. Should I start studying again? Thanks!!

If you can retake, then retake. It will only serve to help you. Right now you have a coin flips chance at UCLA and will likely receive little to no scholarship. If you know you can do better then definitely don't settle!

• AllezAllez21AllezAllez21 Member Inactive Sage Inactive ⭐
    1917 karma

Yes, I would retake. Only a few more questions right on the LSAT and you're in with substantial money. Seems worth it.