Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

"I Need Someone......To Show Me My Place In All This."

ArtoriusArtorius Alum Member
edited October 2017 in General 188 karma

Hi everyone,

First of all, thank you for clicking into this post.

So, my Sept LSAT score is 141, higher than my diagnostic, but much lower than my practice test score. My timed PT average is 150+, and my BR average is 160+, so the 141 is a total surprise, and I am greatly discouraged right now.

I work full time, so my study schedule was maximum 2 hours Mon - Fri, and 8 to 10 hours for Sat and Sun.

I have signed up to retake the LSAT in Dec, and planned to sign up for the Feb as well since the Dec score won't be out before the registration deadline.

"I Need Someone......To Show Me My Place In All This." What should I do from now on so I could achieve my goal of a 160+?

Thank you in advance.

(P.S. I need to enroll into law school in this cycle. My parents are old and not as healthy as before, I want to make sure they could see me graduate before they are gone forever.)

Comments

• SamiSami Live Member Sage 7Sage Tutor
    10779 karma

@"Arthur K." said:
    Hi everyone,

First of all, thank you for clicking into this post.

So, my Sept LSAT score is 141, higher than my diagnostic, but much lower than my practice test score. My timed PT average is 150+, and my BR average is 160+, so the 141 is a total surprise, and I am greatly discouraged right now.

I work full time, so my study schedule was maximum 2 hours Mon - Fri, and 8 to 10 hours for Sat and Sun.

I have signed up to retake the LSAT in Dec, and planned to sign up for the Feb as well since the Dec score won't be out before the registration deadline.

"I Need Someone......To Show Me My Place In All This." What should I do from now on so I could achieve my goal of a 160+?

Thank you in advance.

(P.S. I need to enroll into law school in this cycle. My parents are old and not as healthy as before, I want to make sure they could see me graduate before they are gone forever.)

Hey Arthur,

First of all a big hug. Second, I think its definitely possible to score in 160's before December if not before February. I do think you could benefit by revisiting the core curriculum. Also, post any and all questions you have as you go through the curriculum under lessons or on the forums. Also, see if getting a tutor might help. Getting an in depth answer to each and every question and having someone to guide you can be of tremendous help. Good luck to you and don't give up. You'll do great <3.

• tanes256tanes256 Alum Member
    2573 karma

Hey! Have you looked at your analytics to show you what you should be focusing on? You probably know your struggles without even looking though. I would focus on those areas. I've started over with the entire curriculum before. I don't think that's very uncommon. If you don't know where you're going wrong and don't know where to pick up now if might not be a bad idea to start over. It'll only help! Your study schedule does not seem bad but are you doing a thorough BR? Are you taking your PT under strict time restraints? Your BR score indicates that you may have fundamental issues so you've got to figure out your trouble areas and go from there.

• NotMyNameNotMyName Alum Member Sage
    5320 karma

Have you gone through the full curriculum? How many times have you revisited it? Have you fool proofed games? What is your actual BR average? Is it 161? Any BR average below 170 in my opinion reveals massive gaps in either foundational knowledge or confidence calibration or both. Neither of those things can be remedied quickly.

A PT avg of 150+ will not* get you to a 160+ LSAT. The forum is filled with folks who missed their PT average by 5+ points on the Sept take. The only* way to get there is to have a PT average of 165+.

The good news is that I really believe a 160-165 is achievable for the vast, vast, majority of test takers. However, 70% of students don't get there because of restraints placed on themselves. The most common restraints are time and inefficient prep. For the latter, after shopping around several other products, I can confidently say that 7Sage offers all the tools and expertise you need to get there. It's simply a matter of following the program and tapping into the forum wisdom. The former is trickier. Time restraints can be real or imagined, luxury or uncompromising. In your case, you seem to be dealing with a compromising time constraint -- that doesn't mean it isn't noble!

I understand the gift seeing you graduate would be to a parent. But these matters are far too complicated and unpredictable to plan for. Applying with a low score could force you to wait until next cycle anyway. I think your parents would be proud of seeing you achieve an lsat score you're proud of and getting accepted to a good program. The rest is out of our hands.

• ArtoriusArtorius Alum Member
    edited October 2017 188 karma

Hi Sami, tanes256, and jkatz1488,

Thank you for all the advice. You guys mentioned a lot of things I never think of.

It seems that most obviously I need to revisit the Core Curriculum again and see how it goes.

Meanwhile, should I continue doing PT? Or should I wait until after I finished the CC for the second time?

Thank you.

• NotMyNameNotMyName Alum Member Sage
    5320 karma

Meanwhile, should I continue doing PT? Or should I wait until after I finished the CC for the second time?

@"Arthur K." That's great that you are ready to jump back in! I definitely advise against continuing to PT. I suggest using the analytics to see if there are any consistent problem areas as well as considering how fluent you are in Lawgic and identifying argument parts. From there, drill, drill, and drill! Use the drill packets and old PTs you've already taken. Practice the areas you need work in and take a PT once you believe you've made some practice.

• keishabarnes95keishabarnes95 Alum Member
    edited October 2017 59 karma

Hi Arthur, I want you to know that you're not alone. I am in the exact same boat. My score was a 152 (which is better so you might think) but I was scoring in the high 150s by September raw and with blind review somewhere around the high 160s (169-170) in my PLSATs. The two hour study schedule you have isn't bad because you studied all the material. I think what we both should focus on going into the Dec LSAT is the questions that trip us up while also refreshing our minds on our strengths going into that test because we don't want to have spent more time refreshing then keeping up what we already know. Taking PLSATs and spending at least a full day, if possible, looking at every question for Blind review and taking the extra time to really understand the question stimulus and what the correct answer choice is I think would only benefit us both. I have two jobs right now so I know what you mean when you say that you have only about 2 hours of study time each day but even 2 hours is good. If we both spend two hours every day, by test day, we should be looking pretty good for the test. It really is going to about really locking down our
    weakness and keeping up our strengths.

I've sulked for about a day (while at work lol) and now you, (and I), will get our heads back into the game and kill it in dec.