Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sep. LSAT 167, GPA 3.84 Need some help please

jsfollowerjsfollower Member
in General 66 karma

Hi guys,

I received a167 on the September LSAT and I have 3.84 GPA from top 30 UG. I am also working as a CPA at a big 4 if this matters at all.

My PT average was around170 - ranging from 163(outlier) to 176. I was somewhat disappointed to see I scored 167, so I am retaking in December. My goal is to bring my score up to low-mid 170s.

So far, I have used PS LR Bible, Manhattan LR and RC, and 7sage videos for LG. I ran out of fresh PTs and I have to confess I did not properly blind review the PTs I have taken, which kind of explains -9 in LR.

My plan for December test is to read LSAT trainer, which I purchased literally 5 seconds after I found my score out, for LR and RC to improve my weak areas and also to thoroughly blind review every PT I retake from now on.

Just want to hear you guys’ opinions if I should add anything to my plan..or I guess if anyone wants to share your story going from 165-169 ranges to 170-175, I’d really appreciate.

Thanks, guys.

Comments

• Cant Get RightCant Get Right Yearly + Live Member Sage 🍌 7Sage Tutor
    27822 karma

That's a lot of resources you're working from, so just make sure you're not trying to beat the test with breadth. I don't really think the Trainer will be much help simply because to be where you are, you really have to have more or less mastered all of the fundamentals. Your problem is likely more about effectively executing the skills you've already developed, not that your skills are deficient. Don't expand your resources, go deeper into what you've already learned.

• AlexAlex Alum Member
    23929 karma

@jsfollower said:
    Hi guys,

I received a167 on the September LSAT and I have 3.84 GPA from top 30 UG. I am also working as a CPA at a big 4 if this matters at all.

My PT average was around170 - ranging from 163(outlier) to 176. I was somewhat disappointed to see I scored 167, so I am retaking in December. My goal is to bring my score up to low-mid 170s.

So far, I have used PS LR Bible, Manhattan LR and RC, and 7sage videos for LG. I ran out of fresh PTs and I have to confess I did not properly blind review the PTs I have taken, which kind of explains -9 in LR.

My plan for December test is to read LSAT trainer, which I purchased literally 5 seconds after I found my score out, for LR and RC to improve my weak areas and also to thoroughly blind review every PT I retake from now on.

Just want to hear you guys’ opinions if I should add anything to my plan..or I guess if anyone wants to share your story going from 165-169 ranges to 170-175, I’d really appreciate.

Thanks, guys.

Hi there ---

So you've taken all the PTs? Even Feb 97', A,B,C, and C2?

Anyways, I agree with @"Cant Get Right" because I did the same thing; try to just use tons of resources hoping that the next one would be what I need. I'm a big fan of Manhattan LR/RC and The Trainer as well. I think if you've been scoring in the 170s but then had a test day drop, you probably just need more practice with application.

• sjiang666sjiang666 Alum Member
    157 karma

I am about to start to work for one of the big 4 in China. My first concern after reading this is that, the busy season is coming... how do you balance the test preparation and work?

• jhwangbo86jhwangbo86 Alum Member
    10 karma

@sjiang666 said:
    I am about to start to work for one of the big 4 in China. My first concern after reading this is that, the busy season is coming... how do you balance the test preparation and work?

I am also working at big 4 right now for 4th year. To be honestly, if you are really committed to study hard, you can manage the preparation. First year in big 4 isn't that stressful since you don't know anything anyway.

• jsfollowerjsfollower Member
    66 karma

@jhwangbo86 said:

@sjiang666 said:

I am also working at big 4 right now for 4th year. To be honestly, if you are really committed to study hard, you can manage the preparation. First year in big 4 isn't that stressful since you don't know anything anyway.

To be honest, I am not sure not knowing anything is relevant to the discussion of how best to balance work and studying. He might not know anything, but 1st year can be still stressful. But I agree with you that "if you are really committed to study hard, you can manage the preparation."

For me what worked is studying in the morning, as opposed to after work. Whenever I came home from work, I was just so tired and couldn't really focus. I would wake up around 5ish and study about 2-3hours and then go to work. In this way, when you come home from the work you can review what you've learned in the morning, go to the gym whatever. The only downside is that around 8-9ish, you are basically done for the day, can't go out (guess its an upside after all when you are studying for an exam like LSAT).

But this is what worked for me. Also, by the way, during the busy season, I only studied about 1-2 hours per day including weekend. I don't know how long the busy season is in China, but hours get better in April here, so if it's the same there, aim for June 2018 LSAT.