Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

What does getting a fee waiver mean?

Paul CaintPaul Caint Alum Member
edited October 2017 in Law School Admissions 3521 karma

Hey all,

Since the LSAT scores have come out, I've received fee waivers from some pretty prestigious schools. Like schools that my LSAT score is below the median (my GPA is above most of theirs tho). Like, I just got one from UChicago.

WHAT DOES IT MEAN!? Is it an indicator you have a decent chance of acceptance?

Does it mean they like me and I might get accepted :'(? The e-mail says I've demonstrated a "strong academic record." What does it meeeeeeaaaan?!

Comments

• Tavorak_Tavorak_ Free Trial Member
    edited October 2017 115 karma

How's your GPA? Chicago likes high GPAs more than the LSAT. I've also seen some people say schools want to keep their acceptance rate low so the waivers are to get you to apply, then they reject you. I don't think they're that nefarious but who knows.

Basically, it means you should apply there.

• Paul CaintPaul Caint Alum Member
    3521 karma

@deansr Dang, that would be really upsetting.

My GPA is a 3.90; UChicago's median. I'm unsure if I should wait for December to hopefully get a better LSAT score. I just don't know what to think of these fee waivers - I just got one from Berkeley and Emory as well.

• AllezAllez21AllezAllez21 Member Inactive Sage Inactive ⭐
    1917 karma

I don't think you should read too much into it. Just be happy that they're waiving the fee for you.

Like @deansr said, they could be just trying to boost their applicant count, or they could be legitimately interested.

3521 karma
  • Tavorak_Tavorak_ Free Trial Member
    115 karma

@"Paul Caint" said:
    @deansr Dang, that would be really upsetting.

My GPA is a 3.90; UChicago's median. I'm unsure if I should wait for December to hopefully get a better LSAT score. I just don't know what to think of these fee waivers - I just got one from Berkeley and Emory as well.

You could apply now and still take in December. That's what I'm doing. Chicago is definitely interested in you with a 3.90

• stepharizonastepharizona Alum Member
    3197 karma

Yeah beware of number inflation (thats the term @deansr) aka sending out fee waivers to people they would not admit to increase the size of application pool and on the other end of the spectrum you have yield protection, where people with great numbers get WL or denied to protect them from having applicants withdraw.

It's not to say they don't think you're a good candidate but your numbers provide a good assessment of that. But just be aware that there is a practice of schools doing both.

I'd also wait to apply until you get your Dec score, if want them to hold for that score. They won't look at a held app, so there's little difference.

Often the "hold your place in line" is a part of their number inflation.

Try not to read too much into fee waivers other than they are fantastic as the allow you to save money in app fees. As far as "decent sign of acceptance" Iwouldn't go that far.

3521 karma

@stepharizona said:
    Yeah beware of number inflation (thats the term @deansr) aka sending out fee waivers to people they would not admit to increase the size of application pool and on the other end of the spectrum you have yield protection, where people with great numbers get WL or denied to protect them from having applicants withdraw.

It's not to say they don't think you're a good candidate but your numbers provide a good assessment of that. But just be aware that there is a practice of schools doing both.

I'd also wait to apply until you get your Dec score, if want them to hold for that score. They won't look at a held app, so there's little difference.

Try not to read too much into fee waivers other than they are fantastic as the allow you to save money in app fees. As far as "decent sign of acceptance" Iwouldn't go that far.

Thanks for the advice. That's such an evil practice lol!

I just got another from Duke :(

• stepharizonastepharizona Alum Member
    3197 karma

Yay you just saved more $$!

• AllezAllez21AllezAllez21 Member Inactive Sage Inactive ⭐
    1917 karma

@"Paul Caint" Don't think of these waivers as anything but positive. They are definitely a good thing. Saving money in your applications is very nice.

People are just cautioning you to not confuse it with thinking you've suddenly got a leg up in the admissions office.

• AlexAlex Alum Member
    23929 karma

It's certainly a good thing. Having a free chance to apply to great schools is a net positive. While it doesn't necessarily mean you're a shoe-in, or the top of their list, it does mean they certainly would like you to apply. I'd assume those with, say, a 151 aren't getting these wavers... Be proud. Take advantage! :)

• LindsMitchLindsMitch Alum Member
    589 karma

@"Paul Caint" said:

@stepharizona said:

Thanks for the advice. That's such an evil practice lol!

I just got another from Duke :(

I got the Duke one too and had to rein in my excitement hahah

• TheMikeyTheMikey Alum Member
    edited October 2017 4196 karma

I got one from Berkeley and my LSAT isn't that great for them but GPA is. I wouldn't look too into it though. They send waivers out with like an automated system in which they put a range (for you and I, it was most likely based on GPA) that sends to people who are on CRS. I don't think it enhances chances of being admitted, but it is good that they waived your app fee!

Personally I feel like they put in broader ranges (like you and I --- lower LSAT, high GPA) so they can deny some people for their stats who possibly wouldn't have applied in the first place. That's me and Berkeley, lol. Never planned on applying but got a waiver so why not, even if I do get dinged, haha.

• __emsss____emsss__ Alum Member
    65 karma

Do you guys know if what schools send you fee waivers is in any way influenced by which applications you've already opened on the LSAC website or if you have the schools on "my list"? I received all of the emails you guys mention except for Berkeley's, but my LSAT and GPA are above their 75th. I have Berkeley in "my list" and have opened their application on my account, so I'm wondering if this is why I didn't receive it. I'll hold off opening other applications if anyone thinks this influences fee waiver distributions as I'd love to save some money!

• KayyyyyyyKayyyyyyy Free Trial Member
    346 karma

Definitely curious about this too!

3521 karma

@LindsMitch I'm reigning in my excitement, but ngl I'm still excited :) - I'm still gonna retake the LSAT to try to be more competitive in their admissions

@floripa17 Berkeley was on my list too, as is Duke and UChicago, and they all sent me waivers so idk.

• LindsMitchLindsMitch Alum Member
    589 karma

@"Paul Caint" said:
    @LindsMitch I'm reigning in my excitement, but ngl I'm still excited :) - I'm still gonna retake the LSAT to try to be more competitive in their admissions

I'm in the same boat!!

• goingfor99thgoingfor99th Free Trial Member
    edited October 2017 3072 karma

Never mind.

• acsimonacsimon Alum Member
    1269 karma

Hey man, congrats! I wish I got some fee waivers (I'm really wondering how I'm going to pay to apply)...it sounds like all positives in your direction (even if they aren't indicative of acceptance prospects)!--A.c.S

3521 karma

@acsimon You should be getting some too! Also I've heard that they give out fee waivers at school visits and stuff too, like hand them out at booths and stuff. So if you're close to a university or somewhere else that's holding a law school meet and greet you can get some there!

• acsimonacsimon Alum Member
    1269 karma

@"Paul Caint" Ha!--No, I've only gotten places that I haven't heard of, save for UCLA today. I'm thinking maybe it's because I don't yet have my undergrad transcript on file with LSAC.(???)

What is curious is that though people have said that the inference from waiver to interest is potentially spurious, perhaps the inference from no waiver to no interest is not!--I'll just try to tell myself that it's not the case as I look up how much my bone marrow is worth:)--A.c.S

3521 karma

@acsimon That's probably it! Both my transcripts and my 1st LSAT are in and I've been bombarded with fee waivers and, of course, the occasional "full ride scholarship" from Unknown University haha. I'm sure once your transcripts are in you'll get more.

I just got the UCLA one too.

edited October 2017 4196 karma

Of schools I care about, I've gotten fee waivers via email from Berkeley, Penn, Michigan, Vandy, and BU. If only these were acceptances :( :( :( :(

e: also 99% confident I got one from Penn so they could probably just ding my ass lol

3521 karma

@TheMikey D: If only! I'm hoping I get fee waivers from all the schools I'm applying to hehe. Right now I got UChicago, Vandy, UPenn, Berkeley, UCLA, Duke, and Emory.

4196 karma

@"Paul Caint" said:
    @TheMikey D: If only! I'm hoping I get fee waivers from all the schools I'm applying to hehe. Right now I got UChicago, Vandy, UPenn, Berkeley, UCLA, Duke, and Emory.

I wish!!

I also got Emory, but don't plan on applying. Was never planning on Vandy either tbh but looking more into them I actually really like them now. They have good employment stats and I think both Vandy and WUSTL have impressive big law numbers for schools outside the T13/T14.

• seth.reidseth.reid Free Trial Member
    49 karma

I sent Vandy an email to request a waiver and in between my request and their response I got a waiver through the CRS. Then they told me that if I qualified I would get it through the CRS. Timing was really funny.
    Hoping for a fee waiver to BU. But to comment on the general question, yeah, I think the most we can infer from fee waivers is that they want us to apply. But whether that implies they want us to enroll is maybe beyond the scope.

3521 karma

@seth.reid - Hey I got a fee waiver from BU a couple days back but it went to my junk e-mail. Maybe check there? For some reason a bunch of my fee waivers get filtered to junk...UPenn's was in my junk e-mail today lol

• seth.reidseth.reid Free Trial Member
    49 karma

@"Paul Caint" said:
    @seth.reid - Hey I got a fee waiver from BU a couple days back but it went to my junk e-mail. Maybe check there? For some reason a bunch of my fee waivers get filtered to junk...UPenn's was in my junk e-mail today lol

Good thought. I checked and found lots of other lower-tier school emails, but no BU. Maybe just didn't make their cut, but it seems like schools are still rolling them out. I'm planning on trying for their Full-Tuition binding program, so if I don't get anything soon I'll shoot them an email and see if they'll throw me a bone.