Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

HELP: Should I re-take?

BoulderLawHopefulBoulderLawHopeful Free Trial Member
edited October 2017 in Law School Admissions 5 karma

I received my September LSAT score and I did HORRIBLE. I have extreme testing anxiety when it comes to the LSAT. I was PTing at around 165 each time. But, when it came to the actual test, I got a 156! I cried and cried. I am so disappointed with myself, but I have such bad test anxiety that I am not sure if I can do any better. I think if anything, I am going to practice under very stressful, test-like conditions up until the December LSAT. I could answer most LSAT questions correctly if I had all the time in the world to answer them (it is not the content that is difficult). The stress and the amount of time allotted just really got to me during the actual exam.

I go to the University of Colorado Boulder, and I am double majoring in Sociology and Anthropology. I have a LSAC GPA of 3.95 and a major GPA of 4.0 (for both majors). I am a female. Unfortunately, I am white, a second generation college student, and a completely traditional student. Basically, I am an extraordinarily average applicant with a very high GPA and a sub-par LSAT score.

I am planning on applying to (in order of preference): U of Colorado Boulder Law (average LSAT 161), U of Iowa Law (average LSAT 161), Arizona State O'Conner Law (average LSAT 161), Ohio State Law (average LSAT 159), U of Wisconsin Madison Law (average LSAT 161), and U of Missouri Columbia Law (average LSAT 157).

My GPA is WAY over the 75th percentile for all of the schools I am looking at. But, but my LSAT score is in either the 50th percentile, 25th percentile, or lower than 25th percentile for all of the schools I am looking at. I do not think I am going to get outright rejected to any of the schools I am applying to (at least it seems this way according to the Law School Numbers and LSAC self-assessment webpages). However, I have a feeling I will be wait-listed for most of them.

I am taking all upper division undergraduate (and even some that are mixed graduate level) courses this semester. I think they are all very easy and I am certain my Fall 2017 grades will all be As (CU does not award A+ grades).

Let's say I improve my LSAT to a 159 or so. Is it worth it to retake just to increase my LSAT score a few points? Also, since I have to wait until January 4th for my December LSAT scores, my applications will be submitted sort of late. I plan to have all of my apps completed before the LSAT scores are released, and submit them basically the second I receive my score.

Is it worth it to restudy and retake? I will have to apply later, and my LSAT will probably just increase by a few points due to my LSAT stress. I have been looking at the Law School Numbers website, and it seems like I have a very high chance of at least being wait-listed for all of my prospective schools and about a 50-90% chance of being accepted. I am most worried about CU Boulder, U of Iowa, and Arizona State (my top 3 schools). My chances for each of these schools are lower. A lot of people with my current numbers have been accepted, however, many have been wait-listed.

Although I know it hardly matters, I am the Vice President of the National Honor Fraternity (Phi Sigma Pi) at my university this year. I also was the Fundraising Chair my entire junior year. Also, I was a research assistant for a law professor at the University of Denver School of Law (he will also be writing one of my letters of recommendation). My name was also included in the research study and paper done on the topic.

What are your thoughts on what I should do/what my chances are?

Comments

• BirdLaw818BirdLaw818 Free Trial Member
    553 karma

Oh my god a 4.0 please don't waste that GPA with a 156. Take it in December. If December
    works then great! If not , and you REALLY REALLY need to consider
    this fully and be mature about this decision, if December doesn't work out, you definitely take that year off, study more, and try again. The LSAT is doable and so is overcoming that test anxiety. Took my 3 tries before I broke out of my cycle of freaking out as I have that problem too. I waited a year actually to retake and I'm SO glad I did because I went from 159 to 169.

Regardless, retake FOR SURE. Study smart, study hard and try again. Take timed tests in test
    Conditions. It might be good
    To take a PT in a situation where there is some distraction but not too much. Helps u overcome the stress. Take it again and try
    your hardest but dont settle for anything below a 160. I know you can do it.

• acsimonacsimon Alum Member
    1269 karma

Unfortunately, I am white, a second generation college student, and a completely traditional student.

Not sure why being "white", "2nd generation" or "traditional" is that "unfortunate", even in the context of Law school applications, but let's set that aside.

Take the LSAT again. I don't think that there's much to say beyond that. I feel like you should at least get a 163 with your next test, given what you've said and the study time you have left.

Also, you might want to think about setting your sights on other targets (along with the one's you've given as well). With a 4.0, you can probably really do damage with a good amount of "T-14" schools, provided that you get your score to somewhere around 168 (still, not too high given your stats in my opinion). You might like regional schools for whatever reason--that's great--but I do think that it is worth considering other options provided that you get your LSAT in order (totally doable) by that time. This point applies with even greater force if your are indeed PTing @165...

And, again, if you hit a 168 you should be able to easily meet your current application goals, whatever your background. Good luck!--A.c.S