Redacted

1000001910000019 Alum Member
edited April 2020 in Off-topic 3279 karma

Redacted

Comments

• inactiveinactive Alum Member
    12637 karma

Make sure all the PTs you take are timed. Blind Review is when you take them untimed (after you've already completed it timed!)

• 1000001910000019 Alum Member
    3279 karma

@"Dillon A. Wright" said:
    Make sure all the PTs you take are timed. Blind Review is when you take them untimed (after you've already completed it timed!)

My original plan was to use tests before 36 as untimed exams. Something I could work on throughout the day when I had bits of spare time. I don't think I'll get around to those tests anymore.

• AlexAlex Alum Member
    edited November 2017 23929 karma

Seems like a possibility if you can get LG nailed down and LR more consistent.

You might be better served if you spend time fool proofing games BEFORE doing another PT. Simply doing PT after PT isn't a great way to improve. Your last two PTs make it abundantly clear LG is a weakness for you. Spend time on that before burning another PT. Both of your previous PTs would have been a 169 or close if your LG misses were lowered.

Good luck!

3279 karma

Thanks for the feedback. Fping games was next to do on my list for February, but now that I'm so short on time I'm not sure if I can afford to FP the earlier games.

• AlexAlex Alum Member
    23929 karma

@10000019 said:
    Thanks for the feedback. Fping games was next to do on my list for February, but now that I'm so short on time I'm not sure if I can afford to FP the earlier games.

Judging by your LG scores, I don't think you can afford not to. Your goal score is right there if you can nail games down!

3279 karma

PT52 LG was horrific for me. I got nervous, and blew through a lot of time. I definitely need to practice LGs more, but on my next exam I'm going to relax and just try to hit 3 games like I did in PT 36.

I was a bit anxious that my RC would drop with the comparative passage, but it didn't hurt. Is the 60s/70s/80s RC more difficult? I hope not!

• jennybbbbbjennybbbbb Alum Member
    630 karma

@10000019 said:

FP the games in the CC. They have tremendously helped me!

I don't use the FP method outlined by 7Sage, but a more modified method which is completely doable within this month.

Only re-do the game until you have gotten it within the target time, this usually takes me 1-3 copies as a opposed to 10.

Once you got the games down, I think you can totally hit a 168 by December.

Good luck!

3279 karma

@jennybbbbb thanks for the tip. Do you watch the full video for each game you FP? My concern is that if I do all the games and watch each video (in full) that it'll be a huge time sink.

• jennybbbbbjennybbbbb Alum Member
    630 karma

@10000019 said:
    @jennybbbbb thanks for the tip. Do you watch the full video for each game you FP? My concern is that if I do all the games and watch each video (in full) that it'll be a huge time sink.

No worries!

I try to watch only the diagramming/key inferences and do the questions on my own. If I had trouble with the game overall or specific questions, then I will watch the entire video.

3279 karma

I haven't taken a PT since 11/03. I was planning on taking one today, but after looking at my analytics I noticed my high priority LR questions (PF, SA, NA, Para) are all categories that I have skipped in the syllabus.
    I really don't want to go much longer without taking another PT (for the sake of timing practice), but I think I'll take a day or two covering those sections and relevant problem sets.

3279 karma

Took my first test from the 60's. LGs got me again. Back to more sets!

3279 karma

I've attempted games 2-40. And I'm in the middle of doing games 40-50. I recently took a timed PT, and my LG score was a solid improvement.
    Hopefully I can keep that up

edited November 2017 3279 karma

Question for those who have taken many PTs...
    Do you find that the curve accurately reflects the difficulty of the exam?
    I'm not sure whether my PT 71 score is an accurate reflection of my likely score since it had such a huge curve.

• OlamHafuchOlamHafuch Alum Member
    2326 karma

The curve should be an accurate reflection, if you trust the psychometricians at LSAC, although I wish they were more transparent about their methodologies.
    The only thing I'll say is that the fact that the nature of the difficulty varies so much from administration to administration, I'd venture to say that the group of test takers that score in the 90th percentile for one test is significantly different than those who score in the 90th percentile for another test.

2326 karma

Actually, I'll say one more thing. Many people are surprised when they score 4 or 5 points lower on one test to another. This comes from a misunderstanding of LSAC's score band. The score band that they provide, which is roughly three points in either direction is based on a single standard deviation. That just means that around 68% of the time, you can expect your score to be 3 points in either direction of your "true" score (whatever that means, but that's another story). But that means that 32% of the time (not unlikely by any stretch), you can expect your score to deviate by more than 3 points in either direction! Of course, LSAC won't give a score band that represents two standard deviations (even though that's what's usually required for something that claims scientific rigor), because that would make the LSAT score pretty meaningless, since the score band would cover a range of around 12 points.

3279 karma

@uhinberg said:
    Actually, I'll say one more thing. Many people are surprised when they score 4 or 5 points lower on one test to another. This comes from a misunderstanding of LSAC's score band. The score band that they provide, which is roughly three points in either direction is based on a single standard deviation. That just means that around 68% of the time, you can expect your score to be 3 points in either direction of your "true" score (whatever that means, but that's another story). But that means that 32% of the time (not unlikely by any stretch), you can expect your score to deviate by more than 3 points in either direction! Of course, LSAC won't give a score band that represents two standard deviations (even though that's what's usually required for something that claims scientific rigor), because that would make the LSAT score pretty meaningless, since the score band would cover a range of around 12 points.

Thank for the interesting information. Kinda crazy how law schools are willing to put such a big emphasis on a score that is flexible.

2326 karma

@10000019 said:

@uhinberg said:

Thank for the interesting information. Kinda crazy how law schools are willing to put such a big emphasis on a score that is flexible.

What's even crazier, is that LSAC strongly recommends that law schools look at the score band, not the score itself, but I guaranteed you that they don't, because all they report to ABA (and thus, all that counts for US News ranking) is the actual score. It's a pretty scandalous situation, but c'est la vie, and we have to operate within this imperfect system.

edited December 2017 3279 karma

Got my score today.
    168 (LR1: -2, LR2: -2, RC: -3, LG -8). Disappointed with how LG went, but overall content.

• BinghamtonDaveBinghamtonDave Alum Member 🍌🍌
    8689 karma

@10000019 congrats on the 168, that is something to be proud of.

3279 karma

@BinghamtonDave said:
    @10000019 congrats on the 168, that is something to be proud of.

Thanks! Also 168 was actually my goal not 169. I just wanted to be in the 75th percentile for a certain school.