Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Naming the school in personal statement?

LSATcantwinLSATcantwin Alum Member Sage

Is it okay to name the school in a personal statement? I have a school that I really want to attend and in my final paragraph want to say something like;

• "The goals of XYZ school and mine are in sync, because of ABCD I feel I would be a perfect fit to the community at XYZ"

or something like that. Is this okay to do or is it frowned against?

Comments

• bobbutwith8charactersbobbutwith8characters Free Trial Member
    89 karma

U of Chicago posted seven personal statements that got its authors accepted (https://www.law.uchicago.edu/news/their-own-words-admissions-essays-worked). By using CTRL + F, I found that only two of them mentioned U of C, and one of them was just talking about the library and her experience there in undergrad. While I don't know whether it's recommended or not to name the law school, this seems to be evidence that it won't hurt you if you just say "law school."

• mcmlaw36mcmlaw36 Alum Member
    631 karma

I personally do name schools in my PS. I believe this is ok based on past research on personal statements (I've read many from top schools!). I think it's more of a personal decision rather than a concern of permissibility.