Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

What Score improvement should I expect from CC alone?

OhnoeshalpmeOhnoeshalpme Alum Member
in General 2531 karma

Hey all, first i'd like to provide some background in case some of you have been in my shoes in the past. My diagnostic was a low 150 with a 170 BR. Even though I feel that I understand the material and the language of the test, the time constraint really freaks me out. Like most people here, I want to hit my ceiling and have given myself a year to study.

My question is regarding the expected score increase after CC. What improvement should one expect after completing the CC? In the long-run I realize this isn't all that important, but I want to make sure that I'm not wasting PT's if I haven't truly mastered the material.

If my first PT after completing the CC is still low 150's what should I do?

Comments

• tams2018tams2018 Member
    edited November 2017 727 karma

Your practice exams show where you are in your prep. That is it.

150 timed may mean you are not grasping the core lessons needed to answer questions accurately. Is it timing? Getting through the complex language? Is your knowledge and implementation on lawgic fuzzy?

Think of your prep tests results as a status marker on your knowledge and method of answering questions.

But, 170 BR with 150 timed tells me that timing may be hindering you. Start with that.

• FerdaFreshFerdaFresh Alum Member
    561 karma

A 170 BR as your diagnostic is amazing!

I never did a diagnostic, but I'm sure it would have been similar to yours. My first post-CC test I did manage to hit a low 160, but I was probably a high 50s/ low 60s scorer at that time for any given test to account for variability.

It wasn't until I started doing timed PTs and blind review for harder questions that I started to see the "second jump" in scores that the CC alone just doesn't allow for most people. I think getting into high 60s/ low 70s requires some good blind review for several PTs to get acquainted with LSAC's tricks.

@"Cant Get Right" has a great webinar for what to do post-CC. If you're time-strapped like I am, you won't be able to follow it exactly... but it's still worth a watch.

• AlexAlex Alum Member
    edited November 2017 23929 karma

Great start!

I don't think there's anyway to make a general statement about how much one should expect to improve. For me, while going through the CC, I did a ton of drilling (timed +untimed sections) + fool proofing. So by the time I finished, I had easily improved 10+ points. Then again, it truly depends on where you're starting from and what sections need the most improvement.

If you're starting at a 150/170BR, I think you can expect about a 10 point improvement by going through the CC and doing the requisite problem sets. That's just a rough guess based off of other people's experience and my own. If your PT score is still in the 150s, I wouldn't worry. You still need to practice applying your newly learned knowledge. That's all. You'll see real improvement once you start taking more PTs with BR.

• akistotleakistotle Member 🍌🍌
    9377 karma

@FerdaFresh said:

@"Cant Get Right" has a great webinar for what to do post-CC. If you're time-strapped like I am, you won't be able to follow it exactly... but it's still worth a watch.

Post Core Curriculum Study Strategies:
    https://7sage.com/webinar/post-core-curriculum-study-strategies/