Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Re-Applying

So I think that taking a year off will increase my chances of admission (one more year of grades to boost GPA).
Should I just wait to apply? Does it hurt my chances if I get rejected this year and re-apply next year??
Also, if I were to get accepted to a school, decide to take the year off then re-apply, does that hurt my chances of re-admission?? Thanks!!

Comments

• LSATcantwinLSATcantwin Alum Member Sage
    13286 karma

It’s different for every school. I asked this question to an Assistant Dean of Admissions of UVA and she informed me that it does not hurt to get rejected and reapply.

My girlfriend talked to the University of San Diego and they told her that applying after being rejected cripples the applicant.

So I would contact the schools you are trying to attend to make sure it won’t hurt you!

As for the year off - it all depends! Might help to have a boosted GPA and even another shot at the LSAT! Some people can’t afford that much time off. you need to make a cost/Ben chart for yourself!

• PearsonSpecterLittUpPearsonSpecterLittUp Alum Member
    588 karma

Thank you !!!

• Accounts PlayableAccounts Playable Live Sage
    3107 karma

I reapplied and I haven't had an issue come up yet and have been readmitted to three T13 schools (still waiting to hear from the remaining 10; had my Cornell and Uchicago interview this month). As long as there is a reason to reapply (eg to make your app objectively better, such as increased GPA, LSAT, or work experience), then I think it's for the better. If you explain your purpose for reapplying in a well written addendum, then I'd say the expectation is to have at least as good offers as you had before.

588 karma

Thank you very much!!

And congrats!

• lsat 1101lsat 1101 Alum Member
    267 karma

that's interesting lsatcan'twin. I'm unclear why they said that. Did they mean that once you've been rejected you will never be considered again or only if you don't reapply with an improved lsat score, etc?

588 karma

I emailed my top 6 schools, the ones that replied said that it does not hurt my chances of admission, and one even threw in a fee waiver to get me to apply this year :)

• samantha.ashley92samantha.ashley92 Alum Member
    1777 karma

Would you be past 120 credits? No classes will count in your LSAC GPA once your degree has been earned.

• stepharizonastepharizona Alum Member
    edited November 2017 3197 karma

@"samantha.ashley92" said:
    Would you be past 120 credits? No classes will count in your LSAC GPA once your degree has been earned.

I believe it's not until you actually graduate, not earn enough credits. All 130 of my credits figured in but the ones after I graduated did not.

• samantha.ashley92samantha.ashley92 Alum Member
    1777 karma

@stepharizona that is 100% possible! I'm not 100% clear on the rule because it won't apply to me... I just saw it somewhere on the LSAC website.

588 karma

I'm on my fourth year of undergrad, so I'll be graduating this May (with an improved GPA, thankfully!)
    Thank you very much for your feedback!