best msw/jd program?

sillllyxosillllyxo Alum Member
in General 708 karma

I am just starting research on this and curious what others think. Thx!

Comments

• studyingandrestudyingstudyingandrestudying Core Member
    5254 karma

Where do you want to practice? Interesting to combine the skill sets and from the comments of yours I've read, I think you'd be good at this. One thing is the social work internship and credit hours are very substantial and costly unless you have an undergrad in it. Here's a few strong schools (I'm sure there's more) to maybe look into: -NYU, UCLA, Berkeley, Syracuse, and Boston College. You might be able to negotiate a new joint program at another school as well.

• AlexAlex Alum Member
    edited November 2017 23929 karma

It doesn't seem that there are really any credible rankings for combined JD/MSW programs. The few I came across (US Newsweek) seemed to just be an aggregate of JD + MSW programs. Syracuse Law came up in the top 5 which gave me pause considering their ~50% employment rating on LST.

How you'll determine which is best for you will come down to a function of what you want to do post-grad. If you're interested in practicing law, choosing the best ranked law program you get into (money considered) is almost always the better choice. What you probably don't want to do is let your desire for an MSW really dictate what law school you go to.

• sillllyxosillllyxo Alum Member
    708 karma

@lsatplaylist said:
    Where do you want to practice? Interesting to combine the skill sets and from the comments of yours I've read, I think you'd be good at this. One thing is the social work internship and credit hours are very substantial and costly unless you have an undergrad in it. Here's a few strong schools (I'm sure there's more) to maybe look into: -NYU, UCLA, Berkeley, Syracuse, and Boston College. You might be able to negotiate a new joint program at another school as well.

that's a good idea thanks! I'm not sure looking at Colorado area right now. My fiancee may be going into the military.

• studyingandrestudyingstudyingandrestudying Core Member
    5254 karma

I think if your focus is children's services, there's a special federal funding option.