Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Do you complete every lesson's problem sets in one sitting?

kshutes13kshutes13 Member
edited November 2017 in General 634 karma

One of the lessons I completed had 14 problem sets which I did all in one sitting -- 6 hours later, I was totally drained, very loopy, and a little discouraged.

Do you guys complete every single lesson's problem sets before moving on to the next lesson? Or do you save some for a rainy day?

Problem Sets
  1. How do you approach problem sets?29 votes
    1. Complete them in one sitting no matter what.
        6.90%
    2. If I do poorly on the first few, I'll keep going. If I do well, I skip to the next lesson.
      20.69%
    3. I complete half of them and save the rest for further practice.
      51.72%
    4. I just finished 7 hours of studying and I don't know who I am anymore help
      20.69%

Comments

• 1000001910000019 Alum Member
    3279 karma

@kshutes13 said:
    One of the lessons I completed had 14 problem sets which I did all in one sitting -- 6 hours later, I was totally drained, very loopy, and a little discouraged.

Do you guys complete every single lesson's problem sets before moving on to the next lesson? Or do you save some for a rainy day?

I didn't complete them all. I thought it would be more beneficial to spread them out.

• AlexAlex Alum Member
    23929 karma

@kshutes13 said:

Not for most of them, no. I don't think it's necessarily the best use of time to do 6 hours of drilling one question type. I did maybe half of them my first time going through the CC and left the rest to return to as needed. For some of them, I even felt like half was probably too much. I got a lot more out of returning to them intermittently than doing them all in one shot.

Learning science has discovered that variety is important when learning. It's also best to break your study sessions into about 50 minute sessions then take a bit of a break. Rinse and repeat. But do something different for the next session.

• Heart Shaped BoxHeart Shaped Box Alum Member
    edited November 2017 2426 karma

Well, I did finish all problem sets during my CC phase, but I certainly didn't finish them all in one setting. My brain would be jammed after a certain point so I had to do some LG and reading to chop them up. I did return the next day continue where I left out in the set and eventually finished them all. But that was just my approach personally. I do believe tho that it should be safe to say if you feel mentally drained and discouraged, it's probably the best to take a break or try out a different approach. Quality over quantity after all.

• Victor WuVictor Wu Alum Member
    661 karma

I think one of the easiest mistakes that one can make is rushing through the CC phase. The brain needs time to truly solidify and retain information. I’ve been doing 3-4 drill sets each sitting. I do BR each set very extensivey because I want to make sure I don’t have rocky foundations. Right now, I’m doing the logic portion of the CC, and I’m giving myself about 2 weeks to study and review that material. Take your time with whatever your doing, the more time you invest in the front end, the less time you’ll have to put in the back end.

• Habeas PorpoiseHabeas Porpoise Alum Member Sage
    1866 karma

Echoing what others have said, I never finished all the problem sets in one sitting unless there were very few. I usually spaced them out over two or three days. However, I personally never moved on to the next section until I had finished all the problem sets for the section I was on.
    I think there's a tendency to rush through the CC, but it's the foundation. If your foundation is weak or incomplete the building won't be secure. Don't feel like you have to complete everything in one go!

• kshutes13kshutes13 Member
    634 karma

@"Habeas Porpoise" Great point. I guess I feel like I'm on a time limit (I'm writing in February) and if I space one lesson's problem set over two or three days, I end up falling behind in other material I set out to do (which results in me getting stressed). I should really space out my material better.

Thank you for the advice @"Alex Divine" (who always seems to be a saving grace), @"Victor Wu", @"Heart Shaped Box" -- sometimes I feel like I'm doing CC in a way that doesn't really benefit me lol but it's all trial and error! The input from others is much appreciated and helps me along the right path.

• CurlyQQQCurlyQQQ Alum Member
    295 karma

I'll contribute to the sentiment that NO I cannot finish all the question sets in one sitting. Though I do complete the question sets, because I find it necessary to get as much practice as I can. I try not to focus on the time constraints of the syllabus because I find them quite unrealistic. Something that takes three hours (after note taking, writing up flashcards, and completing the question sets) will take me five. I more so focus on concepts that I'd like to tackle instead. If it's something you've already mastered then why spend hours on it? Seems redundant. The syllabus is a moldable guide.