Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Logic Games Habits for Speed and Accuracy

J.Y. PingJ.Y. Ping Administrator Instructor
edited July 2013 in Logic Games 14039 karma
If you already have access to the full course:
http://7sage.com/lesson/logic-games-habits-for-speed-and-accuracy/

Otherwise, I'm reproducing the contents of that lesson here. What good habits do you cultivate for LG?

Good habits:
-Tick off rules as you translate them into our visual language.
-Write out rules neatly, close to each other.
-Combine rules with overlapping items.
-Every time you encounter a new rule, think about how it interacts with the game items, the board, and the previous rules.
-Reduce visual clutter.
-Try to split the main game-board into sub-game-boards.
-Remember to check for floaters.

When stuck:
-Sufficient failed, rule irrelevant.
-Necessary satisfied, rule irrelevant.
-Pare down and rewrite your rules that still remain.
-Take stock of what items are left.
-Count the number of items left against number of slots left.
-Close out groups when they are full.

Stop the explanation video after the game-board setup. Try to solve the questions yourself.

Comments

• The_RiseThe_Rise Alum Member
    283 karma
    J.Y ping is a greek god
  • KK Free Trial Member
    345 karma
    Thanks for this. Even though you went over it in the lectures I can't believe I haven't been ticking off rules after I translate them.. makes it more clearer. Still gotta work on lessening clutter on the sheet too because I tend to write all over the place lol.

-Sufficient failed, rule irrelevant.
    -Necessary satisfied, rule irrelevant.

^probably the most helpful info anyone can give you when it comes to LG.
  • kraft.phillipkraft.phillip Free Trial Member Inactive Sage
    444 karma
    I agree with K. Most instructional materials barely mention or fail to mention at all that sometimes, conditional rules just go away. It's all logic, but it definitely wasn't super obvious to me that failing the sufficient actually means that I am closer to the answer. I was just like, "oh well, I guess I don't know what to do with that rule now."
  • bnta.jrdbnta.jrd Free Trial Member
    8 karma
    Something I feel should be mentioned is that you shouldn't forget the work you've done for previous answers. many times, that previous work will help you eliminate some of the answer choices for future questions. Not just in terms of inferences either; I'm currently working through the In/Out Game w/Sub Categories 2, and the last three questions (21-23) run straight together (the work you did to answer 21 provides the answer for 22, which helps eliminate three of the five answer choices for 23, with the last incorrect one being eliminated by looking at your master game board).
  • hayley383050hayley383050 Alum Member
    9 karma
    Hi!

Where can I find this explanation/info regarding sufficient condition fails- rule irrelevant, necessary condition satisfied- rule irrelevant?

I'm so confused by LG! :( I think this is an area of weakness for me when it comes to conditionals.

Please help!
  • J.Y. PingJ.Y. Ping Administrator Instructor
    14039 karma
    Hey, I just linked to it in the lesson but here's the direct think. Thanks for prompting me to do that!

http://7sage.com/lesson/conditional-rules-trigger-v-irrelevant