Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Not scoring consistently

Pink DustPink Dust Alum Member
in General 403 karma

Hi guys,
I need some advice before the exam on Saturday.
My scores are very inconsistent :(
On LR, one section i can do -4 and on another it can be as bad as -8 to -10 sometimes. Is this normal between the two sections??
Also for games, if I stay calm throughout the whole section, I can usually do -4. however on those miscellaneous games, I can't seem to do those for the most part. I went back and foolproofed all of the Cambridge packets for LG couple weeks ago. It was a good refresher!
I need to do good on LR and LG because there is really no hope of me improving on RC.
For RC it can be -7 to -15... I HAVE TRIED EVERYTHING for RC. I have read thru LSAT trainer, printed cambridge packets (everything!) I either get the passages or I don't. I don't feel like wasting my time with RC.
I hope to score in the 157 to 160 range and I can PT around there but I don't know what else I should be doing at this point! I plan on taking a PT tomorrow. Is it a bad idea to review every single LR question type before the exam? Or should I just be doing timed sections? I took the entire week from work off, hoping to make the most of it by going to the library everyday till Thursday but I also don't want to burn myself out.

Comments

• Leah M BLeah M B Alum Member
    8392 karma

The variation in score can definitely be normal. After I finished the cc, I had a period of time that my score was all over the place. In just the last month or 2, I got a lot more consistent. I think that it just comes with time. RC is my killer too, so I don't have great advice for that one. I'd be careful about doing a PT this week - you don't want to burn out. If you are studying and trying to improve, then I'd say definitely take Friday completely off to rest.

Taking PTs and timed sections is really just to get used to timing issues and for stamina. If you feel comfortable with those, then I'd just work on the underlying questions and not worry about time this week. Do some logic games, watch the videos, and also maybe narrow down your top few LR question types that you need to improve and do some drilling of those. But be careful not to do too much, you want to be fresh and relaxed for the test on Saturday!

• xtinextinextinextine Member
    861 karma

I'm in the same situation! Sometimes I'll do well in LG but bomb LR or RC. For me, it's mostly due to timing. I'll review the LR question types I know I suck at (flaw, NA).

I'm also aiming for a similar score. I think I'll review some past RC to reinforce the format of the passages. I'll especially look over science passages because I usually trip up on those.

I'll also drill some of the newer LG games, since I feel like there are more misc. games as compared to older tests. (I'll also cross my fingers for no odd games on Saturday...)

I think I'll take a PT on Wednesday. And maybe do an easy drill to warm up the day of, but that'll be it! Like Leah said, don't burn out! Good luck on Saturday! :)

• TabbyG123TabbyG123 Member
    711 karma

I have the same issue when it comes to consistency. I generally score in a range from highest to lowest scores of like seven points, with an average somewhere in the middle. I think that this is typical, as sometimes you test differently because of the day's uncontrolled variables and the variability in aspects of the test that you may be weak/strong in. The only way to reduce inconsistency is to control as many variables as possible and to make sure that you improve all of your weaknesses (which is, like, kind of impossible, so don't sweat it). :B
    I think you'll do great! Just make sure you've got your best mindset for test day and I'm sure you'll score above or about your average!
    For last minute efforts, I'd say review some of your hardest LR question types and practice a few of your hardest LG games (ie. work on your weaknesses). Don't worry about RC. Just make sure you stay focused and don't move too slowly and you'll be fine. :)

Your best is all you can do!

• Pink DustPink Dust Alum Member
    403 karma

I just took a PT today. I scored 159! my diagnostic was 135 in feb. :) but on RC i somehow went only -7... i thought i did terrible on it as usual.I would be beyond thrilled if i can score that on test day. I think this will be my last PT before the exam.

• Pink DustPink Dust Alum Member
    403 karma

@xtinextine said:
    I'm in the same situation! Sometimes I'll do well in LG but bomb LR or RC. For me, it's mostly due to timing. I'll review the LR question types I know I suck at (flaw, NA).

I'm also aiming for a similar score. I think I'll review some past RC to reinforce the format of the passages. I'll especially look over science passages because I usually trip up on those.

I'll also drill some of the newer LG games, since I feel like there are more misc. games as compared to older tests. (I'll also cross my fingers for no odd games on Saturday...)

I think I'll take a PT on Wednesday. And maybe do an easy drill to warm up the day of, but that'll be it! Like Leah said, don't burn out! Good luck on Saturday! :)

@"nicolas.saw" said:
    I have the same issue when it comes to consistency. I generally score in a range from highest to lowest scores of like seven points, with an average somewhere in the middle. I think that this is typical, as sometimes you test differently because of the day's uncontrolled variables and the variability in aspects of the test that you may be weak/strong in. The only way to reduce inconsistency is to control as many variables as possible and to make sure that you improve all of your weaknesses (which is, like, kind of impossible, so don't sweat it). :B
    I think you'll do great! Just make sure you've got your best mindset for test day and I'm sure you'll score above or about your average!
    For last minute efforts, I'd say review some of your hardest LR question types and practice a few of your hardest LG games (ie. work on your weaknesses). Don't worry about RC. Just make sure you stay focused and don't move too slowly and you'll be fine. :)

Your best is all you can do!

@"Leah M B" said:
    The variation in score can definitely be normal. After I finished the cc, I had a period of time that my score was all over the place. In just the last month or 2, I got a lot more consistent. I think that it just comes with time. RC is my killer too, so I don't have great advice for that one. I'd be careful about doing a PT this week - you don't want to burn out. If you are studying and trying to improve, then I'd say definitely take Friday completely off to rest.

Taking PTs and timed sections is really just to get used to timing issues and for stamina. If you feel comfortable with those, then I'd just work on the underlying questions and not worry about time this week. Do some logic games, watch the videos, and also maybe narrow down your top few LR question types that you need to improve and do some drilling of those. But be careful not to do too much, you want to be fresh and relaxed for the test on Saturday!

Thanks guys for the help! I think i will just focus on question types and lightly drill games. I just don't see the point on working on RC.
    Goodluck to all of you! for someone who has been doing this for nearly a year, the forums have been so helpful. Really hoping Saturday I can put all this to rest. clawed my way from 135 to 159 (today's PT score).

• xtinextinextinextine Member
    861 karma

Congrats on your improvement!! And SAME! I'm so ready to enjoy life again (or at least until 1L starts)